Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This problem was not resolved, and I should receive a new printer (same model) on Monday.  I sent the technician a six page PDF document defining and illustrating this unique problem with the Photosmart 7520 AIO Duplex printer.

In that document are examples (via scanned images) of the print output with the duplex feature turned on and turned off.  The documents were from three programs:  Word, Adobe PDF and ArcSoft (program w/Cannoscan 8800F).  Thus, we can rule out a problem with Word which was originally speculated on.  This "scaling" flaw showed up on all documents using the double sided command in the print menu.

In addition to that, I also printed documents using my Acer netbook (Windows XP).  The same exact result--scaled back margins using the double-sided duplex feature.  This tells me the problem is not with my desktop PC (HP Slimline series) either.

I will be very surprised if the replacement 7520 does not have this problem--I think it might be endemic to this HP printer, if not other models.  I just happened to notice it because I type manuscripts partime and my margins have to be precise.

Thank you so much for your interest and help in this matter.  Have a good weekend and maybe Monday will bring some good news.

Mary Ellen

HP Recommended

As I stated above, I am all-but-sure that the replacement printer will have the same issue. As I put it in my last message, this is something that is unavoidable and is actually specifically designed into the machines for a reason. That is why across platforms, programs and computers the same effect is recreated. 

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but I did outline a work-around method for your problem. 

HP Recommended

Sorry for the redundancy in my replies.  This thread has gotten long, and I missed one of your responses.  See my comments in blue regarding the conclusion of this issue:

.....engineers and I found out that this is not a problem, this is in fact part of the design for the machine and this will not change. The reason that this happens is because before the printing can happen the rollers have to be able to grab the paper and pull it through the paper path. The first page is held by the output roller, while the second page reduces in size so the main roller can maintain contact with the paper. This affects all inkjets and not just your particular model. OK, I understand, but I honestly think that the printer should print the document exactly as defined in the page layout using the duplexor.  I am going to try printing my manuscript on  different printers (not HP) with a duplexor feature.  

This can be avoided through manually duplexing the document you are printing rather than using the automatic duplexor. I have found this method to lead to paper jams as well as pagination errors if the paper is not properly stacked when reinserted to the paper tray, not to mention forgetting about this two step process when I am working on other jobs. This will be your only and best option when you are printing documents which have a smaller than allowable margin for duplexing.  What are the allowable margins?  I thought 1" margins were pretty standard.  I can possibly uderstand the footer being being scaled back, but left and right margins of 1" are pretty typical.

I hope this information is useful to you.  Thank you for your input and thorough research.

Have a great weekend!
HP Recommended

I understand that this is inconvenient, but the issue is that the program you are working with can set the parameters to whatever you would like, or almost, but unfortunately the printer cannot conform to all the requests are made of it - what it can do is print within its allowable margins. Sometimes to accomplish this the machine's firmware has to transform the job to be able to print successfully. 

HP printers are not the only machines that do this because it is an issue of the mechanics and not the software. Since most duplexors are build in the same fashion, this same effect will likely be repeated.

If done correctly manually duplexing should pose no more risk to your printer than normal printing (because essentially that is what you are doing). The best method for multi-page documents is to print the even pages first (this should be a feature of the software you are using for formatting and content). Then place those printed pages back in the printers input try face up, where you can read the material in ascending order (page 1 on top, then 3, 5, 7 ...) and print the second half of the job using only the even pages. This should resolve any issues with paper jams or pagination. 

On the second page the margin should be within 1..25-1.5 inches. I will have to test to be sure myself. 

HP Recommended

I received my replacement printer from HP today.  It was a reconditioned printer.  I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at that.

You are right, the margins are still scaled back.  As I understand it,  you are saying that most automatic two-sided printers will scale back these margins regardless of the manufacturer. 

Manual duplexing definitely slows down my productivity.     😞

HP Recommended

Another update and comments re duplexer issure. 

You said:  On the second page the margin should be within 1..25-1.5 inches. I will have to test to be sure myself.

I went into my docoument and changed the margins all around to 1.5"   I printed it once with duplexor on and once with the duplexer off. 

The result:  With the duplexer on my margins are scaled back and my text  shrunk again.   ??????

Comment No. 1:  I paid a premium price for a printer with an automatic double sided printing feature that is no longer userful to me. What exactly is an acceptable margin with the HP 7520 duplexer?    

Comment No. 2:  Due to budget constraints, I will have to wait a week to purchase and test another printer from a competitor with a duplexer feature and see if this "scaling/shrinking" of documents is prevalent among all printers as you stated in an earlier email.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it is as I described, Mary, it is not a defect or something that will change in the future. This is caused by the mechanics of the printer and it is unavoidable. Most printers regardless of their manufacturer have the same kind of paper path and the same mechanical requirements, so like with the replacement you have now you are likely going to see the same effects on printers from other manufacturers. I would suggest that possibly a Laserjet may correct the issue, as the engineer I contacted said that this was something that affected Officejets. 

I believe that the margin will be around 1.5 inches. When you are duplexing for the second page. 

I hope this information is useful, and I hope you have a great day. 

HP Recommended

I am happy to tell you that my case has been resolved.  HP has replaced the 7520 printer with an 8600 printer and there is no scaling or shrinking of text on this model when double sided printed is selected for output.   A very nice printer, much quieter and faster than the 7520.

I also purchased an 8100 model for my husband--no double sided issue with that model either.

HP Recommended

I bought an HP 7520 last weekend and got it all set up.  After being out of town all week I just tried to print double sided only to find it does some automatic scaling.  This is unacceptable!  I bought the printer for its double sided capabilities.  I can't have it automatically scaling and producing margins that I cannot control.  Yes, I can manually print on both sides but I was able to do that with my old printer.  I have found if printing preferences are set to print on both sides, the printer will automatically scale even if there is only 1 page to print.  Are there any options for me?  Will there be any sort of update to resolve this issue?

HP Recommended

There is no solution for this problem on the HP7520.  I went through all the troubleshooting protocols as well as a replacement of the exact same printer without resolution.  It has to be a design flaw.

Since my printer was three months old before i realized what it was doing, I was precluded from returning it to the store I purchased it from.   HP replaced my HP7520  printer/fax/scan with the Office Jet Pro 8600.  Since they stood behnind their product and acknowledged this issue with the HP7520, I purchased an HP8100 printer for my husband.  It also has automatic double sided  printing capability,  and does not scale back margins or shrink the text. 

I would return your product to the store you purchased it from and get the 8100 or AIO 8600.  If you go to another manufacturer of printers, that would be the first thing I would test--auto two-sided printing for scaling issues--it could be a prevalent problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.