Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've changed my PC and now cannot print in colour.  I've tried a clean re-install of the drivers using USB and it will allow colour printing.  However, when you enable wireless printing the colour option disappears.  The print in greyscale box is not present to select or unselect.  USB only is not an option for us.  Help required as this seems like a well know problem with no cure?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@DunkR

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

@Betty0610

I've tried a root install a number of times but have tried again and get the same issue.  This was all done with wifi connection only this time as requested.

A copy of the properties is attached - there is no colour or greyscale option.  Also if you change the paper size to A4 it will not stay that way and defaults back to letter.  Installation and staying with USB works fine, until you switch on the wifi option.  USB only is not an option as we need the printer to be wireless.

This appears to be a common issue and one HP need to fix?Printer Issues.jpg

HP Recommended

@DunkR

Let's run the HP Print and Scan Doctor:

Use this link for details on using the HP Print and Scan doctor: https://hp.care/2JyaC93

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Betty0610

I've run it through HP Print and Scan Doctor and it has made no difference.  Still no colour option as above on wireless printing?

Very frustrating?

HP Recommended

@DJ72

Uninstall the drivers once again and let's set up the Printer first via USB then convert that connection to Wireless:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-series/5447930/document/c0...

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Betty0610

I've spent an hour clearing out any sign of anything HP, root installation from USB with the printer wifi reset and switched off and then using the wizard to change from USB to wireless adding the wireless details in the process.  Still no colour printing option and no greyscale box, the same as above.  Done twice today and once yesterday.

With this Win 10 computer I can still only print in colour using the USB option which we cannot work with?  Screenshots are no different to what was sent before.  Before we go wireless the greyscale option is there?

Please provide a solution that works?

Thanks

This is taking up so much time.  It will not work?

HP Recommended

@DJ72

Did this happen after a Windows update?

Uninstall the drivers again and use the Windows built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I noticed it not printing 1/2 card envelopes after I reinstalled win 10 on new hard drive. 

Thanks for your help. I think I’ll have to live with the C5 size for now.

HP Recommended

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2386797

It's a new build PC so will have the latest windows updates. I'll try that tomorrow 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.