Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 6515 e-All-in-One Printer - B211a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Black has stopped printing desptie multiple head cleanings and replacing the cartridge. What else can I do to get it working?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@GarrettG

Welcome to HP support community.

Make sure that the cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before continuing.

2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the access area.

Figure : Open the cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access doorOpen the cartridge access door
  3. Press the tab on the front of the cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Remove the cartridge from the slot

Image: Remove the cartridge from the slot
  4. Examine the vent area on each cartridge, above the HP logo on the top of the cartridge.

Figure : Vent area on the top of the cartridge

Image: Vent area on the top of the cartridge
  5. If the cartridge still has the orange pull-tab attached, pull to remove it.

Figure : Orange pull tab

Image: Orange pull tab.
  6. If the vent is clogged, use a straight pin to gently remove excess adhesive from the vent.

Figure : Clean the clogged vent with a pin

Image: Clean the clogged vent with a pin.

Clogged vent
    2. With a straight pin, gently remove excess adhesive from the vent

3. Unclogged vent

7. With the nozzle and contacts facing down, slide the cartridge into its slot. Press down on the cartridge until it clicks into place.

NOTE: 

Make sure that each cartridge is installed in the correct slot. Match the shape of the icon and the color of the cartridge with the slot that has the same shaped icon and color.

Figure : Reinsert the cartridge

Image: Insert the cartridge
  8. Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each of the cartridges.

9. Make sure that each cartridge is firmly in place in its slot. Run your finger along the top of the cartridges to feel for any that are protruding, and if any are, press down firmly until each cartridge snaps into place.

10. Close the cartridge access door.

Figure : Close the cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP7525 does not print documents. I have cleaned the cartridges multiple times. The print report comes out perfect. The cartridge alignment failed but was set to default quality. But the printer still does not print documents sent from my computer, or black letters of documents sent from my iPhone. This is for my HP7525. I use a iMac. HELP!!

HP Recommended

@Runnergirl, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To isolate the issue, I would like to know the following:

• Are you able to make copies in black on the printer?
  • What type of documents are you trying to print from your computer and the iPhone?
  • Are you using HP Smart App to print?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  I replaced all cartridges with new HP.  All other new cartridges are working except black.  I did multiple cleans, then replaced new black cartridge with a second new cartridge, thinking the first was defective.  Same problem.  Printer alignment fails repeatedly.  I’ve gone through all the steps outlined in support docs and nothing works.  

HP Recommended

@rbluecat, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you still have issues printing after performing all the troubleshooting steps, I would recommend you to try our other support options.

Follow the steps below to reach out to our HP Support team:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further. 

Thank you. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried to follow your directions but ended up back at the support community, not a web form.  I tried the virtual assistant who could not help.  I read another post about removing the nuns of the orange ink protector, which I did.  Now I get a very, very black printing.

HP Recommended

@rbluecat

I am glad everything is up and running.

Do get back to us in the future for any further assistance.

Thanks 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the recommended steps and the printer still did not print black. I ran both cleaning cycles again and same result. It seems like the printer head is clogged or broken. How do I get it repaired? Thanks.

HP Recommended

@GarrettG

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.