Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficejetPro 8710
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I print 2,000+ full color 2-sided letter-sized sheets in DRAFT mode every month in 100-sheet runs. For the first year or so the 8710 was a massive improvement over the 8600 series which made collating 100-sheet runs a big pain in the butt.

But then I bought a second 8710 which sits next to the first one in my office. Suddenly, about 3 months ago, my PC occasionally stopped recognizing the existence of one or both of the printers and I would have to uninstall and reinstall to get to print.  Then, once in a while, one of the two would print at a snail's pace while the other printed at the typical fast speed.

Then, they would occasionally alternate, where one would be slow and the other fast, but they would sometimes "come back to life" randomly, it seemed.  I uninstalled them and reinstalled them so many times my head spins, it's quite frustrating.

But now, they are both running slow. It looks like even though I am specifying "DRAFT" mode, it is printing in regular mode and since there is so much color ink covering both sides of the paper, it is slow to allow time for the ink to dry before printing the rear side in duplex mode.

Any help on this and also why I am always having to uninstall and reinstall would be helpful. Thanks.

PC:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 16 GB

64-bit

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JKMix,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is printing slow.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the printer firmware following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.