Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have been having the same issue and after doing some research I've seen that there is a firmware upgrade possible for this error with Photosmart 8250...

Are you able to help me with this?

I used to be able to cancel the error messages, but with my new operating system this is not possible as the software is incompatible (plus this drives me crazy when printing multi-page documents).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

HP Recommended

i used to pull out the offending cartridge and then re-insert, all with the printer switched on, and that seemjed to resolve the problem. Until the next time the printer was switched on again, when I had to repeat this procedure.

HP Recommended

I have seen lots of previous posts re this error message but none relating to the  Photosmart 8250. I don't seem to have some of the relevant buttons to use to overcome the message.  Any one out there with knowledge of a fix for this problem on this particular printer?

Chris

HP Recommended

Hello inorga and octman,

I will do my best to assist you.  I want to confirm with inorga that you are also having problems with an "ink system failure" error message.  Is that correct?  

In regards to the firmware update, can you please specify which firmware update you are trying to install via a link to where you have seen this information?  If you previously installed this printer on an XP computer, you may have already updated the printer's firmware.  I will also find it very useful to know the current operating system of the PC you have please.

I can tell you that you will not be able to update the firmware while the printer is in an errored state.  I have provided a link to make sure you have done all the troubleshooting required to fix this.

--Ink System Failure--

Please provide as much information you can so that I can assist you with either the error or the firmware.  

@octman - are you also having problems updating the printer's firmware?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Hi VisionAiry,

I was actually asking about overriding the ink expiration. I have seen on many message boards reference to a firmware upgrade application FirmwareEnable_Release.exe but as yet have been unable to track it down... There were many users posting that this was the solution that enabled them to permanently bypass these errors.

There was a post for this file on driversdown.com, but the links are now dead... If you search there with the file name in the search string it will give you two options, but neither are active.

Also, I am using Windows 8 Pro. I know that there isn't really any software that would allow me to manually cancel the expiration notifications as I was ableto do in WinXP (as insanely annoying as that was...). I've tried using compatability modes to install every version of the software I could find on the HP site to no avail.

I've since disassembled the right side of the printer to access the main baord and remove the CMOS battery. I let it sit for 5 min so it would clear and it's effectively bypassed the expired cartridge error...for now...I imagine it will end up giving me the same error as soon as I replace the now almost empty light cyan... Seems like a pretty crappy solution to have to take apart my printer every time I replace a cartridge.

If you can help with the firmware upgrade or have any other workaround I would be eternally grateful.

Many thanks,

inorga

HP Recommended

I see now.  My title at the top of the post had changed and caught me off-guard.  Of all of the research I have done to find the exact steps to fix this, it appears this printer is one of the few that "pressing OK" is all you can do to over-ride the expiration date. As you stated, without the software, this step is impossible.  I have never heard of that firmware update and it appears it was not initiated by HP which may explain why the links are broken.  It may have been a "bad" site to get you to install a virus instead of a firmware, but I am not certain of that.

See page 57 of the User Guide for the instructions printed off in the manual on how to over-ride the expiration.  

What you can try is to apply some tricks that will hopefuly allow this printer to print.  Like octman stated, you can remove the ink cartridge (I suggest cleaning the electrical contacts on them) and put it back in.  Other research shows a hard reset works (unplug powercord from the back while the printer is still on).  Reviewing some steps I took with octman, the deep printer reset does not work but I can send you those steps via private message as well if you would like to try it.

I have found a website where users have offered two very non-conventional methods for getting past the error. If you choose to follow their instructions, I nor HP can be held accountable as this could cause customer-induced damage and I certainly don't want to make your problems worse. "Inkjet Printer Forums"

In regards to octman's question, the only official documentation I have found is on page 58 of the User Guide and in these documents: "HP Printer: Ink Expiration," "Ink Cartridges are expired error message," and "Ink Expiration."  I do not think you will find them useful but at least I can offer them to you to show the documentation I could find.

I wish I could be of more assistance with this printer but this is the only printer I have seen where clicking OK is suppose to allow you to print.  Let me know if you want to try that reset though, as I am happy to help you try (short of buying new ink).

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply... That firmware update actually originally was from the HP site as there were old dead links and instructions in several posts I've found that gave the link for the file. I imagine this was while PhotoSmart 8250 was still a supported product.

In case there are any others with the same issue that stumble across this thread and are at the verge of sending their PhotoSmart 8250 for a very unhappy dirt nap (not unlike the fate of the photocopier in the movie Office Space) I will provide this link. Be very careful when following the instructions - my recommendation would be to do something fun or relaxing before this and not directly following a likely fruitless/endless searching through online forums to atttempt fixing this issue.

Expired Ink Error messages expired - the HARD way (both literally and figuratively)

Again, I've seen some of the comments in this thread and if you're hasty and don't do this carefully (and with a little common sense) you'll likely damage the exterior casing, bezel or worse... And I can guarantee that no one at HP will recommend this fix as it would mean that you were essentially doing something that only a technician should be doing. That being said - I am not a licenced technician and was able to easily follow these instructions - THEY WORK.

Enjoy!

inorga

HP Recommended

I am just very happy to hear you found a solution that works! 😄  I could not find that firmware update anywhere so thank you for clarifying.  As they say "User discretion advised" but if it works, I won't complain.  Thank you again for your contribution to the forums. I hope all have as much success with these steps as you did.

Happy Printing!

HP Recommended

Hi VisionAiry,

I also forgot to mention that without the software successfully installed on your system the printer does not allow you to bypass the error manually. Once you press the right arrow as instructed then press OK the message reappears and stays... It still instructs you to press right, but doesn't bring you to a place where you can press OK agterwards... Very frustrating.

Thanks again,

inorga

HP Recommended

You are very welcome.  I have ran across your fix before but I couldn't find a good picture or description on where to find that battery in the Photosmart 8250.  Sorry that the lack of software has caused so many problems for you but let me know if I can be of any more assistance.  

Again, thank you for your great contribution to this problem.  This will help a lot of users with the same software issues you are having and should help subside further frustrations.

Happy Uninterrupted Printing!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.