Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In January of 2019 my printer went from working flawlessly to having the fatal printhead error  overnight.

I don't print much, but after owning the printer for three years at that point, I had just recently spent a ton of money on all four genuine HP cartridges only three months before.  According to the printer settings and info menu, I've only printed 1322 pages.

I am EXTREMEMLY upset that this printer (which cost nearly $300 when I bought it, couldn't even make it up to the page yield of a standard ink cartridge (1500 pages).  I contacted HP support last year and gave up in my communications with them since they only ever contacted me while I was at work, and I couldn't answer, so they closed the case.

Please tell me there's a better way than spending a ton of money on a new printhead.  I know this printer is out of warranty, but even car dealerships will sometimes do a "good faith" warranty to make things right.  I happened on a used 8600 from a restaurant that closed down and this thing is going strong at currently 70,602 pages.  But I want MY printer to work, especially since it still has full ink cartridges in it,  although the way it's going, I'm sure they are currently just wasted money since they had "protected cartridge" enabled so I can't use them in this other printer I have. [edit]

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The devices that are light used fail sooner than the one that is well used and overused.

Your low page count in 3 years could be one of the printheads fail reasons if you have been printing for 1300 pages monthly your page count would be closer to 50k pages. The one with 70 602 pages you mentioned was used every day if it was used for 3 years that makes close to 2000 pages monthly and it's still working.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi @fuprinthead

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was just told there are no parts (hardware) available for this printer anymore.  Guess it goes in the trash.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.