Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Got this message after installing new HP-brand 74 and 75 ink cartridges a few months ago on Photosmart All-in-One printer C4280.  Didn't have time to resolve issue then, but have been working on it in short bursts for about two weeks now.   

Cleaned contacts on cartridge and in printer - same error message.  

Followed reset options provided on Youtube - only worked for one print job.

Removed cartridges, unplugged, and reinserted cartridges - same error message

Went to Savers (a used goods shop) the other day and noticed that 6 out of the 10 printers they had for sale were HP Photosmart printers, 4 of them identical to my own C4280.  Decided to purchase one today for $4.99.  Same error message received after performing all above steps.  

Seems to me this issue is likely with the HP ink cartridge.  Why is the prevailing recommendation to go out and buy another set instead of being able to return the seemingly defective cartridges?  My printer is quite obviously out of warranty as it was bought 3 or 4 years ago.  

I should mention that I had already discarded the old cartridges by the time I started working on resolving the problem.  

Contacted HP support today at (800) 474-6836 and spoke with Raxy (sp?).  Nice girl, understood my problem and repeated it back to me exactly as described to her.  Went through the motions of removing each and restarting - same error message.  Told printer is obsolete and suggested I buy a new HP printer with cartridges - yeah, that's the solution.  

Problem has been escalated to a supervisor who will contact me within 24 hours because the new cartridges, bought from Costco, do not have a date on them and HP says they should so they can verify warranty.  Doubt Costco would sell counterfeits.  

Really frustrating part is that HP will not even acknowledge other people have had the same issue.  Will update on progress.  

HP Recommended

@g-d-w wrote:

I have a HP Photosmart C4280 running on Windows XP.  Every time I try to print, I get the message "Print Cartridge Missing or not Detected"...it appears to be the tri-color cartridge causing the issue.  I have taken both cartridges out and then put them back in, I have turned off the printer and then turned it back on....the only thing that seems to work is to go into my HP Solution Center, select my printer, select Settings, select Printer Toolbox, select Device Services and finally select Print a Diagnostic Page.  Then, and only then will the printer print my document--then it prints a diagnostic page.  I have to do this every time I want to print something...any suggestions??  I am wasting ink and paper...

I have the same problem!

HP Recommended

The problem of having to keep performing the reset procedure might be a bad electrical connection on the cartridge(s).

Go to   http://inkjet411.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HP-74-75-Problem-Resolution_v10.pdf   This site addresses a variety of issues for printers that use 74/75 and 74XL/75XL inks. Really useful!

Turns out that I, like so many commenting in this thread, also had to follow the reset procedure after each print job. The black cartridge was able to print when the “missing/not detected” message was cleared, but when the error message appeared, “failed/faulty/incompatible” messages showed in the print queue and on the utilities/supplies screen. (The color cartridge was never a problem.)  I concluded that there was an internal electrical problem with the cartridge. Once I swapped the faulty cartridge with a new one, the printer worked fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks a million;)!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.