Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5258
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to print addressed 5x7 envelopes. I had an old Photosmart that I was doing this for years with and had a separate word doc for each address formatted how I wanted it. I started to print them, with the new OfficeJet I recently purchased after my old printer died, and have had some strange results hopefully someone can help me with.

First envelope prints perfectly fine, second one prints the leftmost letter which was the third line down and the "F" in Ft. Lauderdale. Then the printer feeds the envelope about 2.25 inches and printed the rest of the label. Try my next address and it prints fine, go back to the previous and same exact misprint.  I figure it may be the formatting of the one file so I go to the first envelope I printed, type everything in and the same misprint happens. Go back to the original address and it prints fine.

A couple more print fine, a couple of others have the same problem of the leftmost letter (everything is center justified so it could be the first line's name if it is a long name, could be the second line if it is a long street name, or it could be the start of the city in the third line if it is a short name/long city). 

I have tried to convert them to PDF first then print but the same misprint. I did some in google docs and the original misprinted address came out fine but then other different ones had the misprint. Restarted the PC and printer, re-aligned, did everything troubleshooting I could think of. Got 2 correct prints in a row then another jump. Tried different fonts, margins, I just don't get it...

2 examples of the "jump":

20191223_093239.jpg20191223_093251.jpg

This was in google docs, it flipped the direction it was printed in so I had to flip the envelopes in the feed tray, but it printed it the opposite direction so the right side's first character got printed before the jump (this was after it had printed two that were misprinting in word perfectly fine):

20191223_093304.jpg

I have tried with a few different page size settings in the original format and through the printer. Text boxes, no boxes, plain formatting, font, size, etc. It seems totally random but the ones that work, work correctly every time. The ones that don't work do the misprint every time, with maybe the exception being google doc vs word. But even then ones that work in word might not work in google and vice-vera. I tried restoring every setting I could to default as well. This is driving me nuts and any help would be greatly appreciated.

*edit

I have been screen capturing the text, cropping and saving as a jpg in paint, then inserting the picture into word to print and everything has printed perfectly so far, but this is very time-consuming. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CalibratedZeus,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues printing envelopes.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-5200-all-in-one-printer-series/14095737/model/1409...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.