Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I just unpacked my neww printer and follwoed the instructions for set up. I was testing out the two sided prinitng and it isn't working. I have the option to select two sided but when it prints it is single sided. I am on a Mac. Can someone help me figure this out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @MWenz1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

As I understand you are having issues with duplex printing on your HP OfficeJet printer on your Mac. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

I would suggest you reset the printing system to put all the print settings to default state.

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

For more assistance, request you to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Mac) (Duplexing)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @MWenz1,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

As I understand you are having issues with duplex printing on your HP OfficeJet printer on your Mac. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

I would suggest you reset the printing system to put all the print settings to default state.

Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

Click the “Add button” (+).

Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

For more assistance, request you to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Mac) (Duplexing)

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That solution worked perfectly! Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi @MWenz1,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I gave you the thumbs up. Not sure how to accept it as the solution. I don't see that as an option in the drop down. 

HP Recommended

@MWenz1

Hi,

as @Jeet_singh is out of the office, I'm replying to you. 

I'm glad that the issue is fixed and thanks for accepting the post of @Jeet_singh as an accepted solution. This will help others to find a solution quickly on the HP forums webpage. 

Happy printing! 🙂

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Trying to print 2sided, from my Mac OS 10.13.2, to my HP OfficeJet Pro 6975.   It prints the first side, and then stops responding (display on printer just gets stuck on spinning wheel saying "Printing...") until it finally times out after a few mins.

The solution below can't work for me, because my college won't let me connect the printer to the campus network.  Hence, I'm connected via USB, not via wireless.

Please help.  I just tried getting the latest drivers from the HP website and those successfully installed (were dated about July 2018, so recent), but did not solve my problem.

Thanks.

Ashley

HP Recommended

Never mind.  Apparently AirPrint is applicable even to USB connected printers.  I deleted the individual printer (rather than resetting and deleting all configured printer), and added new, allowing it to proceed with the default value of AirPrint, and it works.

HP Recommended

This solution didn't work nor did any other solution I've found on the HP boards work. Does anyone have another idea? I am about to return this printer and never purchase an HP product again.

HP Recommended

Just install a new HP 5500 printer on the network from my iPhone.  Printing is great except that duplex printing looses the top margin on the odd pages i.e. the duplex printed page.  How do I resolve this.  I have tried reinstalling to no avail.  Why does the HP installation process  not support installing from an Apple computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.