Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500 E710nn-z
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Black printing is barely visible. Color printing is good. I have cleaned the printhead as instructed in the troubleshooting page. I have changed the cartridge and verified the supply level of the ink. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JrlMPR wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem occured halfway thru the contents of a cartridge. At first I thought it was the cartridge itself so I replaced it but the problem persisted

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 6500 e710n.  You may have gone through some of the steps already, make sure you go through all the steps in order up through soaking the printhead as shown in step 8.

Even if the black stopped printing partway through a cartridge it would be helpful to go through the troubleshooting.  For example, blocked vents in the cartridge would typically cause the black to appear to run out at about 1/3 of the cartridge life.  A clogged printhead could occur at any time, and soaking the printhead has resolved this issue for many.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 6500 e710n.  You may have gone through some of the steps already, make sure you go through all the steps in order up through soaking the printhead as shown in step 8.

If the standard troubleshooting did not resolve black not printing I would suggest removing the black cartridge.  Turn it over and examine the area around the ink port.  There are four orange plastic spots, left over from the protective cap.  Make sure these are flush with the cartridge body, if not carefully trim them flush.  If the plastic nubs protrude they can prevent the cartridge from seating properly.  Before replacing the cartridge in the printer dribble a few (maybe four) drops of hot water into the ink port in the printer and two drops into the ink port on the cartridge then snap the cartridge back in position.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Bob Headrick, happy to see you on this forum.  You helped me resolve a tricky hp990 driver problem years ago--those babies are still printing!  LOVE that model 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the problem occured halfway thru the contents of a cartridge. At first I thought it was the cartridge itself so I replaced it but the problem persisted

HP Recommended

@JrlMPR wrote:

Even if the black stopped printing partway through a cartridge it would be helpful to go through the troubleshooting.  For example, blocked vents in the cartridge would typically cause the black to appear to run out at about 1/3 of the cartridge life.  A clogged printhead could occur at any time, and soaking the printhead has resolved this issue for many.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I did clean the vent before and did the cleaning of the printhead but I decided to do it all over again with more attention given to the vent. It finally printed properly!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.