Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5660

I didn't change any settings on purpose, but suddenly when I make black and white copies, the printer is taking a very long time and the copies come out a bit gray and blurry, almost like it's taking a slow scan and copying that rather than just the words and or images on the page.

I found a suggestion to unplug the printer and wait a minute and then plug back in, but nothing has improved.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Cinbrooklyn, please repost some more info.  What type of device and OS is paired with the printer (Windows, Mac, laptop, tablet, smart phone)?  Can you print satisfactorily from a document on the computer, such as in Word?  Does it scan to computer?  Are you using the printer wireless or cable?  How old is the printer and still under warranty?

I read some other posts, where they changed the paper type to plain paper and it solved a slow copying problem.

THE POINT IS are your settings on photo paper, etc.?  Here is the link, (go to page 2 - the 11th post by Printermabob, like myself he is not an HP employee & not an expert):  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Copies-way-too-slow/td-p/5490099/page/2

You can find such settings in the HP Printer Assistant.  In Windows 10 it may have created an icon in the task bar at the bottom.  If not click on the Windows symbol in lower left corner, scroll down to HP, scroll down to HP Envy 5660 series (it has a pic of the printer beside it).  That opens the Printer Assistant.

In p. assistant, click on Set Preferences, click on paper/quality, set Media to plain paper (is it already that setting?).  Click Apply and OK. Try it out. Get back on any success (or not).

Also, as far as a "hard reset" look at Step 1 here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bud03409   Note it requires unplugging while the power is on.   So, first pull the power cord from the printer, then pull the plug from the outlet, etc.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Cinbrooklyn, please repost some more info.  What type of device and OS is paired with the printer (Windows, Mac, laptop, tablet, smart phone)?  Can you print satisfactorily from a document on the computer, such as in Word?  Does it scan to computer?  Are you using the printer wireless or cable?  How old is the printer and still under warranty?

I read some other posts, where they changed the paper type to plain paper and it solved a slow copying problem.

THE POINT IS are your settings on photo paper, etc.?  Here is the link, (go to page 2 - the 11th post by Printermabob, like myself he is not an HP employee & not an expert):  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Copies-way-too-slow/td-p/5490099/page/2

You can find such settings in the HP Printer Assistant.  In Windows 10 it may have created an icon in the task bar at the bottom.  If not click on the Windows symbol in lower left corner, scroll down to HP, scroll down to HP Envy 5660 series (it has a pic of the printer beside it).  That opens the Printer Assistant.

In p. assistant, click on Set Preferences, click on paper/quality, set Media to plain paper (is it already that setting?).  Click Apply and OK. Try it out. Get back on any success (or not).

Also, as far as a "hard reset" look at Step 1 here:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bud03409   Note it requires unplugging while the power is on.   So, first pull the power cord from the printer, then pull the plug from the outlet, etc.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the speedy reply, RichAnt! You solved my problem - I just had to switch the paper to plain paper from photo. I had printed some photos some time ago and never set it back.

So appreciate you taking the time! All the best.

HP Recommended

Hello again,  happy to have helped.  All I did was google the problem and present it.   I really appreciate the Kudo!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.