Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP photosmart 7520 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received today a black economy size cartridge which ended up not fitting into the "slot".

I find it rather confusing and don't really know what to put into that slot.

One picture shows a 'bowtie"(symbol)

and one not.

Rather confused, can the cartridge slots be empty?

e Korman

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@efkorman716

Your printer should have TWO black ink cartridges

1. The first one is narrower called Photo ink cartridge with a camera symbol and it has the SAME size with color ink cartridges.
  2. The fatter or wider one is the real black ink cartridge.

HP 564 Photo Original Ink Cartridge

HP 564 Ink Cartridge Black

Other countries many use different numbers but theay are physically the same. You can also buy XL ink cartridges, more confusion: they ARE not bigger, they only have more inks.

No, you must install all of them otherwise it may stop printing at at the warming up process.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

the stores don't seem to understand the "photo" black cartridge and don't sell them.  It's the cartridge that shows empty although I have brand new XL cartridge installed.

HP Recommended

Look for the part number CN684WN for Black 564XL.
And CB322WN for Photo Black 564XL.
Also CB316WN for Black 564.

And CB317WN for Photo Black 564 or CB317WN#140 at BestBuy.

HP Recommended

I bought CB316WN for Black 564.   It's wider than the Photo564

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.