Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the  issue.

1) I am an instant ink customer, it was a major selling point for me. This issue is a major negative in my mind for this product.

2) Copy, print, and scan function work. I'm am only having problems with web services.

I have attempted full automatic (DHCP), full manual, manual using Google's DNS server, both wired and wireless. Web services will work for about 5 minutes, then they fail until the printer is manually rebooted. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @RobMilby,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with your HP Printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the Printer? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you tried to perform a hard reset on the printer?

Have you tried to update the printer firmware?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to check for the latest firmware update if available for your printer, using this website. You might need a Windows PC to run the firmware.

Once done, restart the printer and then check.

If the issue persists, please ensure the DNS is set to preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance. 

My Printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One

Model T0F29A

Firmware version MCP2CN1716AR

I have performed the requested reboot of the printer and router as requested. The web services say they are connected for 3-5 minutes (not exactly sure when it stops) During this time, I checked for new firmware and was told I have the current. In addition, I used the firmware update tool for windows and it also said I have the current firmware. I am using the google DNS server. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) 

Once the printer gets into this state, only a hard reboot (pressing the power button on the printer) will restore access. Then it is only for 3-5 minutes.

HP Recommended

This is still an issue.  I'm ready to cancel my instant ink subscription, and possibly trash the printer. This is awful. Please help me. The idea is great, but the implementation appears to be horrid. 

I have done the following

1) Checked the firmware using USB on a Windows 10 platform using the https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers website directions.

2) Plugged the network in via an Ethernet cable directly to my router.

3) Did a factory reset.

4) Reconnected to the instant ink

5) Enabled IPv6 on my router (This finally got it online for a few minutes)

6) Waited 5 minutes and the printer was no longer connected to web services at all.

7) Changed the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

😎 Rebooted the printer.

The net result is it appears to connect for about 3-5 mintues.. then it's offline again. Please help before I lose my mind.

HP Recommended

@RobMilby,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are still experiencing the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

setting up a printer should not be this dang difficult!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.