Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Web Jetadmin 10.4.101995 SR2
Other

We have recently installed Jetadmin 10.4 101995 SR2 with feature pack 6 on a MS server 2016 connected to a sql db.  The software works great except I cannot update the firmware the enterprise printers.  I can update the older non enterprise devices without issue.  Every time I attempt a upgrade it starts the upgrade and then most of the time immediately reports a communication error.  For a few printers it takes a few minutes to report the error and others just hangs in a pending state.  The non enterprise older devices run the install without issue.

We have secured the enterprise printers with admin passwords, disabled TLS1 and 1.1, secured the snmp( enterprise only use snmpv3), disabled unused features and protocols.  

The interesting note here is I have a local install of jetadmin on a windows 7 pc with local db and not problem with any updating but I cannot keep this machine running as we have the server. Our environment is to large to run on a pc.

I have made attempts to remove all security on the printers and the server and looked at the configuration of jetadmin but nothing changes.  Firmware will not update on the server.  Only on the pc. 

Anyone else have a similar issue or has any thoughts?  We are new to managing our printers and web jetadmin so any thoughts would be appreciated.  

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

For most device firmware, HP Web Jetadmin opens a port 9100 connection and sends the .rfu file as a print job. The device power cycles itself at the conclusion of the upgrade. For HP Jetdirect firmware, HP Web Jetadmin uses the TFTP protocol to complete the upgrade. Newer HP devices can use Web Services over HTTP to perform firmware upgrades. These firmware files have a .bdl extension. While header information is no longer PJL as found in .rfu files, the firmware bundle provides attributes similar to that of the PJL header and HP Web Jetadmin supports parsing this new header type to determine which image to send.

if the device is showing a communication error during the firmware push, then there is some type of communication break between the printer and the WJA server.

It is hard to say what might be causing it. But we have a technical white paper with additional troubleshooting steps. This also inclues how you can imrpove the performance of WJA server when scheduling a firmware upgrade. Here is the link for the same:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01943164

I hope this information helps.

Good Luck!

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello

For most device firmware, HP Web Jetadmin opens a port 9100 connection and sends the .rfu file as a print job. The device power cycles itself at the conclusion of the upgrade. For HP Jetdirect firmware, HP Web Jetadmin uses the TFTP protocol to complete the upgrade. Newer HP devices can use Web Services over HTTP to perform firmware upgrades. These firmware files have a .bdl extension. While header information is no longer PJL as found in .rfu files, the firmware bundle provides attributes similar to that of the PJL header and HP Web Jetadmin supports parsing this new header type to determine which image to send.

if the device is showing a communication error during the firmware push, then there is some type of communication break between the printer and the WJA server.

It is hard to say what might be causing it. But we have a technical white paper with additional troubleshooting steps. This also inclues how you can imrpove the performance of WJA server when scheduling a firmware upgrade. Here is the link for the same:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01943164

I hope this information helps.

Good Luck!

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution.  I already looked atthe white paper at the time I posted but the information is always helpful.  Also since the post I have been able to get most of the fleet to update the firmware.  I am still working on why the remaining fleet still cannot butI am in a much better position.  Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.