Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laser jet pro 200 color
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Recommended Solution: "error 79" on HP Color LaserJet Pro M280-M281 Multifunction Printer series created by expert Jabzi

getting a 79 Service error - recurring.  Printer will not go to ready status.

Have done-

cycled on/off

unplugged/replugged power cord

Downloaded and sent firmware to printer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

A such may ocour due to a curropt print job from any of the computers on your network.

How many devices are conneccted to the same network and uses the printer?

I suggest trying to unplug your router for a moment first, then restart the printer and check if the error remains or not, by that you remove any possible device to cause the error.

Next power on your router back and check the print queue for your computers, if there is any pritn job in the queue be sure to cancel it.

Please let me know,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your exact printer model as listed on its front? e.g. M252n, M277dw, etc.

Remove any cable from the printer, then connect the power cable only and check if you sill see the error shown.

As well try plugging the printer to another power outlet and check, please avoid any power strips, extentions, surge protectors, etc. while testing.

HP Recommended

M276nw

HP Recommended

There are no cables.  Using a wireless router.

unplugged and plugged into another outlet.  still getting the error message.

HP Recommended

There are no cables.  Using a wireless router.

unplugged and plugged into another outlet.  still getting the error message.

HP Recommended

Hi,

A such may ocour due to a curropt print job from any of the computers on your network.

How many devices are conneccted to the same network and uses the printer?

I suggest trying to unplug your router for a moment first, then restart the printer and check if the error remains or not, by that you remove any possible device to cause the error.

Next power on your router back and check the print queue for your computers, if there is any pritn job in the queue be sure to cancel it.

Please let me know,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I have a MFP M426fdw connected by USB to my computer.  Every time I try to scan a document, the machine goes to a 79 service error and reboots itself.  After it reboots, it usually will scan the next time.

I have 5 of these MFP M426fdw and this is the only one that throws this error.

HP Recommended

I Have exactly the same problem with the HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M477FDW. When scanning from the display to a directory on my NAS the machine goes to a 79 service error and reboots itself. Sometimes it works normally, but then again, after a few scans, the same problem occurs. I have other Laserjet Pro's and no one of them has this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.