Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M283fdw
Ubuntu LTS

I have added a password for my MFP M283fdw, but it somehow does not accept it. Now i am locked out of my printer. How can i reset the printer? Tried from the printer itself, bit i need to enter the password there too. Guess the printer does not like passwords with # and @ in them somehow.

To clarify, I wanted to secure the embedded Web settings with a password. I added the password and applied. Now I need to login, but the password I just added, is not recognised. What is going on here? I just bought this printer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I created the password myself and could not login straight after. Having caps lock on is not the issue (ofc checked already before asking for help).

However, I just found out what the reason is my password in not accepted. The length of my password is 17 characters. It seems that the maximum password length that is supported is 16. Omitting the last character of my password, lets me login on the printer.

It would be helpful if HP would build in a password length check in a next firmware release.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Sometimes users have the caps lock on when they enter the password and do not realize it. Try that.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I created the password myself and could not login straight after. Having caps lock on is not the issue (ofc checked already before asking for help).

However, I just found out what the reason is my password in not accepted. The length of my password is 17 characters. It seems that the maximum password length that is supported is 16. Omitting the last character of my password, lets me login on the printer.

It would be helpful if HP would build in a password length check in a next firmware release.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.