Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I expect him to return and say Generic PCL, not PostScript, to be honest with you.  Nobody on any thread about this issue, and there are many, has stated Generic PostScript as a work-around.

I will agree that this goes beyond our knowledge, which is probably why we are 2 months past 10.13 release and it's still not fixed.

HP Recommended

The HP technician called again today, we installed the driver supplied by his 2nd level support… Same problem.

However, I have found something strange, I have a two-page Word document, it has a header followed by a Logo and then title block, then the text.

This is one of the documents that does not print, I get the header then the error message, so it’s one of the ones that I use to see if printing is working properly.

To save paper, I select print from page 1 to 1 and it fails, however I now find that if I print the whole document it works just fine.

So merely changing from printing all the pages to a range causes the error…

HP Recommended

In different Microsoft forum thread where discussing about the same problem I found this statement:

"xshow is a PostScript command for painting characters and did not exist in older versions of PostScript. You need to check for printer driver updates."

If the above statement is founded, it sounds like something is definitely changed in the PS drivers which comes with High Sierra but SOME of the HP printers are not ready "to understand" the new commands. Some other printers do understand them as I can verify in my network...

I believe it is definitely needed either a driver update or new firmware rel. for the affected printers.... 

HP Recommended

I'm printing to a HP Pagewide Managed Color MFP E58650 Printer and HP LaserJet 700 color MFP M775 with the same problem:

ERROR: undefinedresult

OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow

The problem occurs with Excel and Powerpoint. No problem with PDF.

Seems the common thread with everyone here is that we are on High Sierra. 

HP Recommended

Its huge issue with MACos High sierra. We are renting out of HP printers. In last period we get more and more these cases. Its issue with CM4540, CM6040, CM3530 as we know. Im sure, there are more models with same issue too. No luck with: new firmware, new dedicated driver, Airprint, without Airprint, PCL, PS. Problems have started after upgrading MAC to High sierra. Issues with PDF, PPT, WORD documents. It looks like that Apple has left some bugs and not sure when they will manage to fix them. We work with another printer brand too. No problems with them.

HP Recommended

Interesting:

I don't have the error on our HP Pagewide Managed MFP P57750 XC meanwhile I do have errors on HP Enterprise M605 printers.

What I noticed is that, opening with HP Utility and getting info from device, the PageWide model is controlled through an HP PostScript Driver V 19.18  meanwhile the M605s gets HP Postscript Driver V 19.13

I wonder if using the V 19.18 driver on the M605 would solve the problem but I've no means to control driver association within the Mac OS.....

HP Recommended

It is clearly an issue with 'High Sierra', unfortunately.

If one takes the same offeding file (e.g. Word doc) and prints it to the same printer on the same network but uses a Mac that is on the older 'Sierra' OS X, the printer works fine. Whatever Apple did, it messed things up and/or they didn't coordinate with HP to test the updated Post Script commands. (I think that they call that a 'Regression Test'...)

HP doesn't seem to be too involved with solving the problem. I'd recommend opening a case with Apple on the issue. I've done so, but I was probably one of the first, back in late October. The more cases filed, the more likely some human will take notice and do something about it.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I'm not in total agreement with you..

In my network I've different HP printers.   After upgrading Macs to High Sierra SOME of the HP printers do have the problem, some other HP printers NOT (different models).

Should it be an OS only problem, ALL of the HP printers (and may be other brands too) would manifest the problem.

Definitely the OS has a role but I believe in the way it brings into itself new Postscript driver which is NOT compatible with all of their (HP) printer, only with some.

Therefore HP should work with Apple to better understand what's was changed and issue a new drivers suite which would fix the compatibility...

HP Recommended

That's fair.

In my enviornment, only one variable changed: Upgrading to High Sierra.

For us...Macs with High Sierra have problems printing to a number of different laser printers; those that haven't been upgraded have no problems. Same files, same network, same printers and even the same Mac models; the single/only difference in this break, that I've found, is whether the Mac was upgraded or not. And it consistently plays out that those w/o the upgrade print fine; those with the upgrade have problems printing where there were no problems prior to the upgrade. And I did try upgrading the printers' firmware, etc., but that had no impact on the problem itself.

But, who knows, there may be more than one issue going on here and we're experiencing different, but similar, problems. I can only speak for our situation here.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I also have this problem. I have a new iMac High Sierra (10.13.2), using Office 365 (Word 15.41). Only documents containing Calibri cause the error printing to my ancient, wonderful HP1320n (duplex) laser printer; driver was installed by my iMac on discovery. If I print the documents from my old 10.4.11—don't ask!— iMac using MSWord 2004 (11.6.1), there is no problem.

Searching my new iMac for Calibri and examining FontBook gives nil result. Calibri is provided as a default  font within Office 365 (So is Office failing to appropriately send the font to the printer?). The point at which the download of docs to the printer stalls is consistent with occurrence of Calibri.

So I downloaded a bunch of MS fonts from Apple StackExchange <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/128091/where-can-i-find-default-microsoft-fonts-calibri-ca...> and installed Calibri and Cambria, following the instructions there. Restarting the iMac was essential.

PROBLEM FIXED! (so far…)
Apparently some people on this thread are seeing other issues. Thanks to those who highlighted the Calibri aspect of this. I hope this helps some of you. Good luck to others.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.