Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

@steve_maser wrote:

I can't legally say that I'm testing the 10.13.4 beta, so I can't say I still have a document showing this problem when I try printing it to an M605 and/or M603.

So maybe 10.13.4 is not the answer here?

Only 4 minutes, and my hopes are shattered 😞

HP Recommended

Over at the German forum, it very much looks like a not to be mentioned beta version from a fruit company indeed solves the problem (see here)

Regarding documents still showing the problem: Note that at least for PDFs, it is key what OS version has created the PDF, and not what OS version is actually printing it. None of my PDFs I created before 10.13 had any problems printing to HP printers under 10.13, and all I created with 10.13 had the problem, even when printed under 10.12.

So I guess PDFs generated with an OS that that the problem will need to be re-generated before they will print ok.

HP Recommended

Just to confirm your observation!

1) MacOS 10.13.4 Beta allows to print on our HP Laserjet 500 color M551n without any special measures and with various apps that had severe problems before.

2) Some pdfs generated with 10.13.1 or 10.13.2 (did not check 10.13.3) that produced the well-known error "xshow..." before still produce this error when printed with Preview and 10.13.4. So they have to be updated or corrected.

3) A word of caution: /Library/Printer/hp of 10.13.4 Beta shows a lot of interesting changes and additions. In particular there is a completely new folder "laserjet" that does not look like a very systematic coverage of HP printers. And in the folder "cups" there are many new "...driver" entries. And there are further changes in /Library/Printer/hp. Evidently, lots of things happened and have to be verified during the beta tests. - Nevertheless, great that someting positive happend. Thank you.

HP Recommended

After upgrading 5 Macs to 10.13.2 High Sierra I get the following on about half the print jobs:

This is what comes out on a blank piece of paper when we try to print an email, PDF, or other document (intermittently)

ERROR: undefinedresult
OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow

I just logged a support ticket with Apple, hopefully they and HP will work to fix this major flaw
HP Recommended

Problem solved with new driver 2.8.0.177 released yesterday!

HP Recommended

@fdmdf wrote:

Problem solved with new driver 2.8.0.177 released yesterday!

Can't confirm this. Driver installed, Version shows stills 19.21. Printer prints same **bleep** like the last weeks...

HP Recommended

If you are running a printer that supports FutureSmart 4, there is an interim firmware build available as of today that works around this issue.  It prevents the firmware from crashing so the document can print.

Unfortunately, as this is an interim and not a fully qualified release you must contact HP support to get the appropriate bundle for your device

We are working to see if we can make this easier as this issue affects so many users.

To determine which version of FutureSmart is currently running on your printer you can look at the configuration page.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 1.07.02 PM.png

Some printers and MFPs that originally shipped with FutureSmart 3 can be updated to FutureSmart 4.

You can find out more about updating your device below.  Please use caution when updating.

hp.com/go/futuresmart

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Not all FutureSmart 3 devices are upgradable. 

You also need to make sure that any solutions that are installed on your FutureSmart 3 device will work with FutureSmart 4 as well.  All saved settings will be lost after updating.

A solution for FutureSmart 3 devices is still in the works.

Again, to get the interim build of firmware for FutureSmart 4 you must contact HP Support. 

If the agent is not aware of the issue for some reason you can refer them to this thread and internal document

c05862436 and ask to be elevated.

[updated to include internal doc number]

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

A work around I found is to print all PDF as image (in Advance).

HP Recommended

A work around I found is to print all PDF as image (in Advanced).

HP Recommended

Hi rhfoster34,

If you read back through this thread, you will find your solution, which usually is seen as a desperate last option. This solution is more applicable to PDFs that can't be regenerated.

Downloading  and installing Calibri in FontBook (see specific instructions in the thread) solves most of my problems, but not for preexisting PDFs (?using Calibri); for Excel, Word etc which supply Calibri from the program but do not make it visible in FontBook, changing the default font from Calibri is another workaround, and in existing docs replacing the font  with something else.

These may not work for some people, and may not work all the time; they may also not be able to be implemented at all or at least in a practicable way for many work environments. I have not worked through the various permutations either.

The problem for old workhorses like the 1320 may be that no proper solution will ever be provided.

Thanks for your post
Regards, Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.