Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Not exactally a fix but I've found forcing PDF's through chrome using Google Cloud Print works. Might help some of you out there.

HP Recommended

We do face the same problems but with CM6040mfp, and for this device the last firmware is from august 2017....

We are running macOS 10.13.3, and i already tried the drivers provided by apple v5.1 without success 😞

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=de_DE

Will there be a (firmware)fix soon for this device too and if yes, when? 

This is massively disturbing our workflow/production!

Actually, who is in charge or which fault is this? Apples, HP, both? What is the technical problem that is causing this issues??

HP Recommended

For those of you not on the Mac Admins Slack channel, this is a known issue and Apple are working on this as are Microsoft to get it sorted. Apparently the new OS update fixes some issues but you didnt hear that from me, we could be waiting for months.

HP Recommended

Given the feedback from various people on here and the fact this issue seems to have been traced to an update in OSX High Sierra and the way it handles either the Calibri font and the printing/creation of PDF files I'd think it's Apple responsibility to fix.

I work in a very mixed environment with various different OS from Win7>Win10, Surfaces, different flavours of Linux and various editions of OSX and it's only the High Sierra machines exhibiting this issue and it's not just on 1 printer model either as we have 4 different HP printers. Twice before now, I have been able to print docs from my W7 machine that have failed from a users Mac.

HP Recommended

I work in a big company so I've had to deal with this espectially since because of the recent vulnerabilities that have been exposed, everyone is being forced to update to High Sierra

So my workaround has been this: Open the ppd file with for the printer TextEdit and change this setting:

*TTRasterizer Type42 change to *TTRasterizer: None

Save the ppd file

So you can copy and modify the ppd for your specific printer in /etc/cups/ppd then paste it back into the directory

Or you can modify the ppd for the specific model in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources

Then apply the ppd using your browser by going to localhost:631 > Printers > Select your printer and from the drop down where it says Administration, change to modify, enter your username password,,,click continue, continue, browse and locate your updated ppd file,,and click modify printer

If using generic ppd file just add the line *TTRasterizer: None  after Language level entry is a good spot

Apply the new ppd to your printer

HP Recommended

Hi, Prints_William!

Thank you!!!!

Your solution is confirmed for HP Laserjet 500 color M551 with the standard driver and TTRasterizer: None in the modified ppd. So far all our test dcouments printed without error message, even the corrupted pdf that was circulated  by somebody (pdf generated with Pages an 10.13).

If I may: this solution is a little bit funny as TTRasterizer: Type42 is said to be the standard for HP Postscript printers, cf. e. g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_Printer_Description .

Anyway, "None" seems to be a valid option, cf. https://www.cups.org/doc/postscript-driver.html

TTRasterizer        The type of TrueType font rasterizer supported by the device, if any. The supported values are None, Accept68k, Type42, and TrueImage. If not specified, None is assumed.

Your solution somehow is consistent with the expereince of some users who found that using different fonts sometimes helps (or printing as image with Adobe Reader).

Thank you again!

HP Recommended

Thank you! 

Confirmed with HP LaserJet 700 color MFP M775!

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with the solution? 

Thanks again, though, this is awesome news!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much. Confirmed with Laserjet M506.

HP Recommended

Hi

I didn't know anything about TTRasterizer and looking for information about it I found this on

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/postscript/pdfs/5133.SpoolerTips.pdf

page 13:

"A response of Type42 means that the device has a built-in copy of the FontType 42 (Apple TrueType) rasterizer. A response of Accept68K indicates that the rasterizer is not built-in but the device can accept it in downloaded form. A response of None means that the rasterizer is not built-in and the device cannot accept it in downloaded form. A response of Unknown means that it cannot be determined what kind of Type42 support the device is capable of and the driver must treat such a device in the most conservative manner possible."

Does that mean that when *TTRasterizer in the ppd is set to None, that no TrueType font is sent to the printer (but the driver does the rasterization)? And could I conclude that maybe the TrueType format - of certain fonts, e.g. Calibri - has changed from Sierra to HighSierra? Or a defective TrueType font is sent causing the error?

Roger

HP Recommended

Hi Prints_William,

confirmed for M552. No side effects so far - except for some improvement in quality compared to the Acrobat+"Print as image" solution.

Regards

Toomas

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.