Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Haven't used the wireless functions of home wireless printing in more than 1 year. Want to start back. Product out of warranty and I can find no help in the normal support channels from HP. I simply want to set the printer up to be able to print from my smart phone(s) and tablet. I've reloaded all the drivers for the printer and seem to be able to connect to the home SSID ok, but there's no real functionality - i.e., it does not see internet, etc. Trying all setings on the setup menu of the printer have failed to help.

Maybe someone has a step-by-step set of instructions for a dummy like me.

Thanks in advance.

Bob L.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @24F5Loar,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

"DIRECT-ab-HP M277 LaserJet" is the wi-fi direct connection. You can print from your phone directly to the printer without the router using this connection. You cannot connect to the internet with this connection. You need to turn off wi-fi direct on the printer to connect the printer to the normal wireless network.

You may check the link: Wireless Printer Setup

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @24F5Loar,

I understand that you want to know how to print from your smartphone and tablet to your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw.

I suggest that you follow the steps in the link: Printing from Android Smartphones or Tablets

You may also print and scan using HP Smart App from the link: Print and Scan from the HP Smart App

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Yes, I'd like to print from the smartphonce but the bigger issue seems to be getting the printer into a wireless mode that will accept communications from within the home network, and/or tablet or smartphone. The only wifi I can see now is a "DIRECT-ab-HP M277 LaserJet" SSID . If that's the band I should connect to, then so be it.

HP Recommended

Hi @24F5Loar,

"DIRECT-ab-HP M277 LaserJet" is the wi-fi direct connection. You can print from your phone directly to the printer without the router using this connection. You cannot connect to the internet with this connection. You need to turn off wi-fi direct on the printer to connect the printer to the normal wireless network.

You may check the link: Wireless Printer Setup

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.