Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am having trouble printing anything with black.  I have changed the cartridges, cleaned the print heads, everything, I cannot get it to print in Black.  What do I need to do to fix this?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Beas1054 I recommend you try the copier as a stand-alone device without a computer and check if that works in black color,:

• If it doesn't work, this could be a hardware issue,
  • however, if the copier works and yet, the print out from the computer doesn't work in color, you can try the below steps:
  • Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot print in BLACK.  I can print in all colors just fine.  I even tried to copy a document separate from the computer and it will NOT print BLACK.  Its a new cartridge, it is from HPInstaprint.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@riddle_decipher I don't know if you saw but I can print any color, it will not print BLACK.  I have tried to copy separate from computer... no BLACK.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Beas1054 If the copier isn't working in black either, and you've already cleaned the cartridge contacts among other things, this is a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@riddle_decipher it will print every color except black.  I don't know if you understood that... it prints pinks yellows blues reds the whole gambit, just not black.

HP Recommended

@Beas1054 Yes, I understood that quite well, as I've mentioned it on my post as well, that said, as posted earlier, this seem to be happening due to a hardware malfunction and the same needs to be repaired, I suggest you send me a private message with the region or country you are contacting us from, so I can help you accordingly, if the device is no  longer within the HP warranty.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I sent you a message.  Let me know if you got it.

HP Recommended

@Beas1054 I've received a message but it does not contain the country/region you are contacting us from, and that's what I need!

Perhaps, you could send that now, let me know.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.