Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CM4540 MFP

Hi,
I need your help in figuring out why my CM4540 MFP keeps telling me that the transfer belt (ITB) is not installed (but no error code), or not installed correctly. I've tried numerous things, and am running out of ideas.
First thing was to reseat the ITB which didn't change anything. Then I tried a working ITB from a CP4525 which also didn't work in the CM4540. Vice versa the ITB from CM4540 worked in CP4525 so it must be within the printer. I checked SR9 sensor according to this:
https://www.laserpros.com/medias/59.F0-Error.pdf
also without success. Along the way I fixed the "sticky solenoid" (cause of the 59.F0) so this can't cause any problems any more. Then I found this talking about an "ITB detection flag"
https://www.metrofuser.com/post/resetting-hp-cp4020-cp4025-cp4525-cm4540-m680-m651-transfer-belt-kit...
I tried the reset procedure mentioned there also without success. But I'm wondering how I can test the sensor? Is there a manual sensor test I can run to see if it's working? So if somebody has any idea or information regarding this sensor, or the mechanism of detecting the ITB I's very much appreciate it!

kind regards, Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finaly I found and fixed the problem: I had removed the solenoid (often responsible for the 59.F0 error), and when I put it back in I must have slightly misaligned it or so. I figured this out by incident as I noticed I can see the switch when looking at the top of the printer. There is a small "window" in the fuser drive assembly where I could poke the switch, and it didn't move. So I poked a bit harder (on the lever where the spring is mounted) and with a "click" it was freed. Then the ITB got detected, and printer is working.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Here is what I found in the service manual, which i see you have already tested the SR9 so you should run the Alientation test suggested.

Recommended action

1. Install the transfer unit. If the transfer unit is already installed, remove the transfer unit and then reinstall it.
  2. If the printer could not find the ITB contact alienation home position, check the ITB alienation sensor (SR9).
  3. Use the ITB Contact/Alienation in the Component Test menu to verify that the ITB alienation mechanism is functioning correctly. If it is not, replace the fuser drive assembly.
       NOTE:
    Replacing the fuser drive assembly involves removing the main drive assembly. Only perform this step after contacting HP support.
    Part number: RM1-5656-000CN
  4. If the printer has been serviced, reconnect the connector (J128) on the DC controller PCA.
If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Repairtrooper.
I'm very confident SR9 is working as I ran a manual sensor test. I think I also performed the ITB contact alienation" procedure (have my printer set to German), but the test did not complete as far as I remember. Had to turn the printer off while running the test. May this have to do with the before mentioned "ITB prescence flag" not working? (the 2nd link I've posted shows where it is).

I traced the wires of the "ITB presence sensor" to J127 pins 4-6 (have to check at home to be sure) on the DC controller. The thing is it's not just a mechanical switch, but an optical sensor like SR9 I guess. Between two of the pins there seems to be a diode (with 1V of forward voltage) so the 3rd pin probably is the output of the sensor. But I have no idea what voltage the sensor requires, and I don't want to break it (or the DC controller) by applying the wrong voltage.

I'd be happy if someone from HP could provide some information about this little piece. I'd like to make sure if it's not working before I disassemble the whole main drive unit to access and clean the sensor.

HP Recommended

So today I carefully reassembled the printer, and performed the ITB contact alienation procedure again.
The behaviour was as already described: I could hear some motor/gear running, but the procedure did not come to an end. After 5 minutes I became impatient and pressed the Stop button, but it didn't even stop.
So it seems to me it has been waiting for some sort of trigger/event that never occured. Anybody has a clue what the problem might be? Is the only error source the fuser drive assembly?

HP Recommended

Finaly I found and fixed the problem: I had removed the solenoid (often responsible for the 59.F0 error), and when I put it back in I must have slightly misaligned it or so. I figured this out by incident as I noticed I can see the switch when looking at the top of the printer. There is a small "window" in the fuser drive assembly where I could poke the switch, and it didn't move. So I poked a bit harder (on the lever where the spring is mounted) and with a "click" it was freed. Then the ITB got detected, and printer is working.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I get the same message with the HP M 775 which comes sometimes but when i open the itb door and reclose the message desappear for some.

I would like to have a definitive solution.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.