Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CP2025dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a transitory (as opposed to intermittent) problem with my CP2025dn.  When it fails, it fails consistently and repeatedly; then when it clears up, it works properly for an extended period.  I'm hoping to get enough insight into the issue to enable me to do some intelligent troubleshooting the next time it occurs.

A few days ago, I printed test copies of two single-page documents.  One was on standard 8-1/2" X 11" plain paper from tray #2.  The other was on 5-1/2" X 11" card stock from tray #1.  Both printed correctly, after which I attempted to print the multiple copies I wanted.  At this point, the printer would not pick paper from either tray.  It would continually attempt to pick, with mechanical sounds similar to but slightly different from when picking was successful.  While observing the throat of tray #1, I could see that the mechanical movement that took place during successful printing was not happening. For both trays, the printer re-tried picking endlessly.  After a minute or so and a few dozen picking attempts, I had to manually cancel the jobs.  No error messages were issued.

After several tries, the printer went into calibration mode.  Both LEDs illuminated, but nothing else happened.  I could not cancel calibration, nor could I turn power off.  I had to unplug the power source, then plug it in again.  I then tried printing again (both my own jobs as well as a demo page), with the same failed results as above.

I set the printer on a bench for further troubleshooting and spent a half hour or so reading through the service manual.  I then removed the right cover to see if I could find anything out of order, but all seemed well.  I tried printing a demo page while watching any activity from the opened cover.  The demo page printed properly.

I do not believe this is a mechanical problem (e.g., sticking solenoid), since it occurs on both trays, which have unique paper paths.  It seems more likely to me that it's an issue with incorrect commands being issued to the driver PCB, but that's just my best guess.

The printer is now back in service and, so far, behaving properly.  I expect that in time, I'll see this same failure again, and I hope someone may have experienced similar behavior and can suggest the likely cause.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If the printer can print a demo page from the control panel during the problem phase then you know its not a mechanical issue.

That being said there are no instructions from the drivers that I am aware of that impact how the printer picks up and feeds paper through the paper path.  You can always try a UPD or an alternative print driver to see if they have any impact and rule out driver issues.

However, most jams and pickup errors are mechanical in some way.  It might not be a problem in an expected way, but the printer only knows one way to pick up and feed through paper.  There might be a better mechanical explanation for your problem such as an issue with the rollers slipping due to printer or toner dust.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

As I said, this is a transitory issue.  When the printer won't print from a PC, it also won't print a demo page, and vice-versa.  When it successfuly prints from a PC, it also prints a demo page, and vice-versa.  When the printing fails, it's not an issue with slipping rollers or dust; rather, the pick operation is not initiated in response to the pick command, as evidenced by the lack of motion of the picking components, which are visible at the throat of tray #1and whose motion is apparent when the printing is successful.  It is not a driver or application issue, since I also observe the problem when printing a demo page.  It seems that the cause is within the printer electronics:  possibly the driver PCB, which is the last in line before the pick solenoids, but it seems more likely that it lies upstream closer to the source of the pick command, but I'm not yet able to discern the full data path.  Maybe more poking and reading will help.

HP Recommended

Believe it ot not it's exactly the sticking solenoid problem for sure.

I've fixed up more than 100 machines of this kind of problem. Even more I fixed 5 different models of HP printers in these 3 days. HP CP1025 CP1525 CP1518 CP2025 CM1415........ Every one of these HP printers will meet this problen eventually and will not have any exection. The same as HP M451 M551 CP3525 CP5225 ..........................

The good news is that if you do it well once you'll never have to fix it again.

When it happens it always acts like that,

CP2025 will spin like it will pick-up paper but it never really does the really pick up actiion it just acts as it pause for a little while then it spins again then it pause again and so on and so on ....... If you don't do anything and let it do itself it will ack that cycle again and again like it will never ends, it will last to half of an hour or even the whole morning, but it really will come to the end and it will end up showing 59.C0 Error. That's what you really need to take care of.

It's 59.C0 error and it's the sticking solenoid problem for sure.

In the beginning you might print a few papes in the morning after all night's seating idle but when it gets hot enough it will acts like what i said before. And one day it will become more serious which you want to print anything it happens every time.

Check this one it will help.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/CP1515n-Printer-odd-behaviour/td-p/7011699

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.