Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HPLJ 5m monocrome w/postscript
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Have an old HPLJ 5M hat works great on Win XP and Ubuntu 16.04 but forthe life of me I can't get it to work on Win 8.1. There is no problem sending a test page to the networked printer but all it prints is:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: Kernel

Error: UnsupportedProtocol

Operator: )x)

Position: 0

Did the windows up date - no help

Tried installing: no help

Saw all the googled stuff, only got more confused

I'm out of ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oldbutstilltry

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and response.

Run HP Support Assistant to update the printer driver.

Click here to download and install the HP Support Assistant.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @oldbutstilltry,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issue with installing your HP Laserjet 5m monochrome printer on Win 8.1.

I suggest that you install the Windows built-in drivers from Windows update by checking the link: Windows Built-in Print Driver

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I tried getting the drivers for the printer through windows add system. Added both the monocrome hplj5m and the hplj 5m postscript drivers.  Under control panal it shows the printer (hplj5M but  in the details it says it is a color printer) it also shows a HPLJ Pro CP1525PCL6 class driver. When I look at Devices>Print Ques, it shows Fax, HP LJ 5M, HP LJ Pro CP1525PCL6Class Driver, Microsoft XPS Document Writhr, and Root Print Queue. I think win is still thinking the printer is a color printer and not a monocrome. If I try and use the Add Printer option and I pick the HPLJ 5m printer, it says that the printer has been installed with the HPLJ Pro CP1525 CPL6 Class Driver driver.  Am I picking the wrong printer when I am adding a printer or how  can I chnge the the driver it is  using.  Thanks for all your help

HP Recommended

@oldbutstilltry

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and response.

Run HP Support Assistant to update the printer driver.

Click here to download and install the HP Support Assistant.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this didn't work. Finally was ableto instal the HPLJ 5M postscript driver and was able to print a text file. I guess this will solve the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @oldbutstilltry,

I reviewed the post. You've done some remarkable troubleshooting and a commendable job here. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 I hope the issue has been resolved. As @sandytechy20, is out of office, I am responding on his behalf.

Please feel free to reach out for any issues and we are always there to assist you here. 

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.