Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet 3600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have very recently upgraded my PC and installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I have a HP Color Laserjet 3600 laser printer.

I downloaded the driver, Dot4x64.msi from the HP website.

When I try to install the driver the program immediately stops.

I get the message from User Account Control asking me:  "Do you want to allow this program to make change...." and I answer Yes.  I then get the message "Please wait while Windows configures Dot 4" and "Getting required information.".

This message only appears for a fraction of a second and then the program crashes. It just stops.

Do you know why this is happening and how I can install my printer driver?

Any help appreciated as I really need to use this printer.

Regards

Max Kelly

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

It appears that the .msi driver package is incomplete, as the size is just 1.5MB, hence you may need to wait till the full package is available for download.

Meanwhile you may try to install built in driver from OS or full software package available with Windows 7.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Hi Thanks for reply.

What do you mean by waiting for the full package to download?  How long might I have to wait?

How can I find the built inb driver in Windows 10? It has not offered me the option of finding this driver.

What do you mean by the full software package available with Windows 7. Where might I find this?

By the way I am runnung Windows 10.

Thanks again for your help.

Max

HP Recommended

What I have suggested is a workaround and needs to be tested, as you are experiencing issues while installing the actual driver package.

Driver build in the OS is usually installed automatically when we perform hardware first install (connecting device with PC using USB cable before installing software/drvier), so that the computer recognizes the hardware and installs best suitable driver or prompts to select one from the driver database.

The full software package for Windows 7 is available at the same HP driver download web site:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=500898&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

Hope this helps!

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Im having same issue and its been a while since this was posted....

HP Recommended

Installed Windows 7 drivers on a windows 10 machine printer works fine.

@MBM-Kevin wrote:

Im having same issue and its been a while since this was posted....

HP Recommended

@Ask-Me wrote:

What I have suggested is a workaround and needs to be tested, as you are experiencing issues while installing the actual driver package.

Driver build in the OS is usually installed automatically when we perform hardware first install (connecting device with PC using USB cable before installing software/drvier), so that the computer recognizes the hardware and installs best suitable driver or prompts to select one from the driver database.

The full software package for Windows 7 is available at the same HP driver download web site:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=500898&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4063

Hope this helps!

This works fine

HP Recommended

i tried your Windows 7 install suggestion on my Window 10 Pro 64 bit system.  it downloads ok and creates the port, but then hangs up on sinatlling the driver indefinitely.  Any ideas why it hangs on installing the driver?

HP Recommended

So the way I fixed this issue is I first downloaded the Windows7 x64 driver suite. Installed that. Rebooted the computer. Connected the printer - it went to "unspecified devices" - so I right clicked and clicked Remove Device. Then unplugged the device and plugged it back in. The printer now works as it should. 

HP Recommended

This does not work.  Win 7 install package does not owrk.  It hangs. Has to be terminated by TAsk Manager.  Also, is on a network, not local.  oh well.  guess i have a nice paper weight.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.