Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi @RedHeadPeter,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I too have this problem.  My HP Laser Jet Pro MPF M227fdw printer :

1) has a new authentic HP 30X toner cartridge, and

2) connects wirelessly to the HP Web Services, Apps and has an hp eprint email address that works.

On my computer every time I print I get the annoying dialog box "Toner Installed, HP 30X Black, Your software can authenticate cartridge using online services.  However, accessto the internet is not possible at this time."

Why am I getting this????

HP Recommended

Probably the same reason lots of people were having the problem a couple of months ago.  Which may mean the problem has come back.  And HP will go back to blaming your wi-fi or a 'dirty' cartridge rather than checking what their server is doing.

HP Recommended

Try to disable bidirectional support (see Properties / Ports). It works for us.

(tested with HP LaserJet Pro M203dn as network printer)

bidi_support.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanx loads.  That does stop the incessant nattering from the printer.  I believe, though, HP still has an issue that needs to be dealt with.

HP Recommended

Lot's complaints about HP's Cartridge Authentication.  Agree with the frustrations expressed on this topic.

I too fooled around for a bit when I encountered this annoyance.  My replacment cartridges came in HP's packaging, along with return UPS lables to send/recycle my empty cartridges back to HP.  

Consequently, I concluded that if my cartridges come in an HP box / packaging, then they are authentic. So, no need for further authentication.  I chose to decline authentication, and their nagging pop authentication notices have stopped.

I don't need HP to get any further involved.  When they have in the past, it usually means more junk mail.  Registering my HP printer purchase netted mutliple daily HP marketing emails, until I shut that down.

HP Recommended

I feel a little better. The initial answer to the question was precious. As if someone asked a TV manufacturer, "why isn't my TV working" and the response was "Our TVs show stuff on the screen".  

A better answer for HP would be "we don't know anything about how HP printers work".  Please pay us $1000 for phone support and then we can confirm we can't help you....

An even better answer would be, "please throw your crappy HP printer in the trash compactor and get an Epson", because they support their stuff.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.