Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M148dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a LaserJet Pro MFP M148dw. It arrived yesterday. I want to put 4x9 (#10) envelopes in the upper paper tray and 8 1/2 x 11 sheets in the lower paper tray. As it is now, if I have envelopes in the upper tray, the printer always selects the envelope. Can I have both trays loaded at the same time and get the printer to select the envelope tray when I want an envelope and the sheet tray when I want a sheet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your printer does not have 2 trays, it have1 Standard Tray and 1 Priority Tray.

A Priority Tray meant to allow easier paper loading of different sizes than usual, so you may load your envelopes without removing the normal tray from the Main Tray.

Whenever a paper is loaded into the Priority Tray it will be used by default, this is how a priority tray works by design.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your printer does not have 2 trays, it have1 Standard Tray and 1 Priority Tray.

A Priority Tray meant to allow easier paper loading of different sizes than usual, so you may load your envelopes without removing the normal tray from the Main Tray.

Whenever a paper is loaded into the Priority Tray it will be used by default, this is how a priority tray works by design.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I am replying for clarity in case somebody comes across this with the same question.

ISSUE: I want to put 4x9 (#10) envelopes in the upper paper tray and 8 1/2 x 11 sheets in the lower paper tray . . . . Can I have both trays loaded at the same time and get the printer to select the envelope tray when I want an envelope and the sheet tray when I want a sheet?

ANSWER: The printer cannot do this. Shlomi says that the upper tray (the priority tray) gets used by default. That is, if there is anything in the upper tray, that is what gets printed on. I can load the lower tray with 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and have the printer "select" that tray as long as the upper tray is empty. If I want to use the upper tray for envelopes, I have to put an envelope in the upper tray for each time I need an envelope printed. This is the solution I was trying to avoid. I wanted the convenience of being able to print the occasional envelope and have the larger bottom tray always loaded with 8 1/2 x 11 sheets for regular work without having to load an envelope each time. Now I know what I have to do. Thank you Shlomi for clarifying that.

HP Recommended

Shlomi,

I accidentally hit the "Selected as Solution" button on my own reply when I thought I was hitting it for your reply. I cannot find a way to undo this and select your reply. Sorry.

Will321

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.