Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet M477fdn (CF378A)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone,

I have an HP Color LaserJet M477fdn and everything so far seems to work just fine. The only issue is that after some time of inactivity the display will turn off (goes to sleep). I would expect that it would wake up (display turns on) when a job is sent to it, if there's an incoming fax or if someone pressed some buttons or the front display. 

What's odd is that sometimes when I walk by the printer the display will be on when there hasn't been any activity. 

Is this normal? If it's not normal, is there some setting I can adjust so that when it goes to sleep, it stays asleep until it needs to wake up?

This isn't really a huge issue but it does annoy me 🤔. And, I suppose it does then consume a small bit of extra electricity. If I can adjust this maybe I'll save enough in wasted electricity to buy a beer or two per year 😁.

Thanks in advance!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

wake-up activity is triggered by the following

• Communication over USB or network such as a print job
  • An incoming fax when unit is set to immediately print faxes rather than a scheduled fax printing time being set.
  • Internal print quality routines that calibrate the printer or rotate the fuser to reduce the possibility of flat spots on the rollers.
If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There are a couple of things that will trigger it to wake up. Incoming print or fax jobs is one, but it will also turn on to perform a maintenance calibration which can happen at any time. The energy settings allow you to set how long it will take to go to sleep. These units also have 2 levels of low power. Sleep and standby with setting for both.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper,

Thanks for the tips! I checked out the energy settings and it seems they only set when to go to sleep, not when to wake up.

IMG_4245.jpg

My issue is that it seems to wake up at odd times. Any idea where to look for settings for this or why it may be waking up?

Thanks,

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
HP Recommended

• An incoming fax when unit is set to immediately print faxes rather than a scheduled fax printing time being set.
  • Internal print quality routines that calibrate the printer or rotate the fuser to reduce the possibility of flat spots on the rollers.

HP Recommended

@Repairatrooper wrote:

So it sounds like this isn't some configurable setting. It's just something the printer does and I'll just have to learn to live with it! Good thing this printer doesn't live in our bedroom! 😁

Thanks for the info!

Larry.

Save lives
Give blood.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.