Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Enterprise M553n
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Okay, I have received this printer and I purchased a new USB cable, and I plugged in directly to my computer. I have made sure my iMac has been updated. The computer will not recognize the printer. I got the HP Easy Start program downloaded, but it does not show my M553n on it. I am frustrated beyond belief and I can't get my tech out for two weeks. My other printer is down and I have to print. I thought this would be an easy thing to do. I even tried using the USB port on the side by having a pdf file on it and the printer won't recognize it either. HELP!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It is possible that the USB port is disabled on the printer, some people do this to prevent people from "stealing" printing time.  To turn on the USB port you need to access the embedded web server which means you need to be connected via network, or you need to perform a partial clean on the printer to clear the settings. Look for a PM with further instructions. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

This is a new install that isn't installing. I'm trying my best without being tech savvy.

HP Recommended

Sorry, the first line of your post made it sound like you received this used from someone. I would suggest that if you have a way to connect a network cable to the printer that would be the best way to proceed. If your MAC does not even acknowledge that the printer is connected you might have a corruption in your OS. Any chance you have another computer you can test i with?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm a home business owner. There is nothing for anyone to steal because I'm the only one. I'm trying to see if there is something I can do while waiting two weeks for my tech to return from out of town. This sounds like a bit more than I can handle at this point. This is straight out of the box plugged in power cord, USB and ethernet in that order. Nothing is being recognized on the computer. I may try my laptop to see if it works, but beyond that, I'll have to wait two weeks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.