Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I have a LaserJet Pro M102w printer that I have been using on various wi-fi networks without issue since purchase.

I have just bought it home form the office and am trying to connect it to the Wi-Fi router at home but it will not connnect. I have it printing OK via the USB cable.

I have tried (for the last 2 hours!) every suggested option I found in various utilties and help files but to no avail.

When I use the set up route via HP Easy Start application it goes all the way through the set up - finds my Router name (SkyExF19) and it prompts me to enter the password - which I do - but then goes away and tries to complete the connection and fails.

I get one of two screens - the first one says " The network name (SSID) you entered manually could not be found" the other says "Unknown issue"

I have checked the router name and the password several times and they are correct. I have also reset the router back to its factory condition and gone through the set up again - same result.

Any suggestions welcome. And I am guessing actually talking to someone at HP is not possible in this day and age.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@andyboy66, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Let us try the following steps to resolve the issue-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Additionally, you can refer to the troubleshooting steps from the document No Connection after Router or Wi-Fi Settings Change for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. And thanks for the response.

I managed to actually resolve this myself so have not tried youur suggestions.

The issue was that when I went into one of the advanced diagnostics tools I found (Can't remember the name of it) I found the Netwotk settings and looked at what the printer was conneted to. I found that the router name and password were not as I had typed in during the new installation but were still showing the old router and password that the printer used to be connected to when it was at a different premesis. So it seems that the SW did not actually popoulate the set up with the new Router name and password during the set up process.

To fix it I simply typed in the correct router name and password and saved the settings then rebooted everything. It all connected up automatically and now works fine. When I poer off and on the printer still finds the router.

I am happy that I found a fix but I am very un-satisfied at how confusing it is - even with all the HP on line help - to actually do a simple thing - connect an HP laptop to an HP printer. I know you can do better than this and after 20 years + of buying HP products I would expect a seamless set up in this day and age.

Anyyway - thanks for teh reply.

Last question - should I go ahead and update the printer Firmware as suggested? Or am I better just to leave it alone? - the last thing I want to do is break it in the process of updateing FW.

HP Recommended

@andyboy66

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

HP regularly releases new printer firmware versions with product enhancements or issue fixes. Depending on your printer, apps on the printer control panel might also receive updates. Update firmware and apps on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.