Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Double sided printing has stopped working.  What used to happen is when I selected two-sides a popup would appear with instructions telling me to re-insert the paper that just printed and press Resume.  That popup no longer appears.  Instead, the printer eventually comes up with an error message saying out of paper.  When I press clear that goes away and printing resets.  The second page is lost but I can print other stuff.  (one sided only)  Happens with MS Office and Adobe Reader.  Verified that the printer shows it is still configured for double sided printing.  I've turned off the popup blocker in Edge just in case, but no joy.  Using McAfee A/V.  Checked log and no record of block.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI @PatrickMc,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you.  I reviewed the post regarding issues with double-sided printing. Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers at the root level and check again?
  • Did you uninstall and reinstall MS Office and check again?

For now, try these steps to uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from  http://hp.care/2syreDe  and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix the issue.

Please check this link: http://hp.care/2i44okI (HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing) ) to assist you with duplex printing.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HI @PatrickMc,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you.  I reviewed the post regarding issues with double-sided printing. Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers at the root level and check again?
  • Did you uninstall and reinstall MS Office and check again?

For now, try these steps to uninstall and reinstall the printer software.

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from  http://hp.care/2syreDe  and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should fix the issue.

Please check this link: http://hp.care/2i44okI (HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows) (Duplexing) ) to assist you with duplex printing.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had tried downloading the latest driver and that did not help.  This was the first time I went through the pain of uninstalling the older drivers. (I even found the driver from my old Laser Jet 4 and got rid of it.)  Whew!  It did work though. Turns out the popup says "Continue" rather than "Resume" but it did come up and I'm back printing on both sides.

Did not bother with MS Office re-install because it was happening with both Office and Adobe so the problem had to be at the printer level.  I still don't know why the driver suddenly stopped supporting duplex printing but it's now back and I know how to fix it if it happens again.  

thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @PatrickMc,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David, I followed the instructions you gave in the response you sent to PatrickMc    ‎01-26-2018   05:31 PM  - edited  ‎01-26-2018   05:32 PM regarding, " Double sided printing stopped working".  It worked and also activated color printing again.  However, a day later and it doesn't work.  I followed the steps again, and it's not working.   HELP!  Thank you!  

HP Recommended

The double sided printer has a paper stuck in it and I can't get it out please help soon

HP Recommended

@Louise2019

Could you please help me with the exact model name of the printer?

Keep me posted.

Welcome to the HP Community:)

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Windows 10 update 1903 messed up my duplex double sided printing on my HP m506 this week.  

My Solution:

Printers & Scanners

Select my Printer HPn506

Select Manage

Printer Properties

Device Settings tab

Installable Options - Duplex Unit was set to "not installed".  Changed to "Installed"

Solved without rebooting, registry editing, etc.

HP Recommended

Finally, a simple solution that works!  My double sided just stopped working almost a year ago, but previous to that had worked for years, I don't understand how this got switched off, but it affected several pc's, so it was at the printer level.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have an hp laserjet and double sided printing stops working every two weeks. I look at your technical to do list and I simply wonder why I have to go through that pile of rubbish every single time for a job that the printer is supposed to do in the first place. It is what I paid for.

No, I don't feel happy about re-installing the drivers every two weeks because it takes time out of MY precious time to do that, time that I don't have and time that I could use doing something else.

YES, your printer is supposed to print without giving me such trouble especially since it isn't even a year old yet. So, HP, what you need to do on these forums is admit that your printers as terribly bad quality and not worth a single dime because they don't deliver what the customers pay for. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.