Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet MFP277
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer will only print two-sided manually. What has happened to auto duplex printing?  I had no problems until now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that a duplex unit is present on the printer (assuming that one is present):

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the duplex unit is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this.  When I checked, I realised that my printer was installed twice with two different ids.  One was shown with duplex installed and the other was not so I removed that one and guess the problem will be solved. 

HP Recommended

I have a HP6700. I never had any problem with 2 sided printing until suddenly, it will not do so. I have run the trouble shooter, updated the driver, and tried everything I can think off.

Whenever I go into printer properties, etc., and I sellect "flip on long side", it shows a yellow triangle and will not allow me to use it. "Duplexer" shows as installed, ut I still have the problem. Do you have a solution to fix this problem?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I can't help you with this - I needed help with a similar problem.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?  That sometimes works with this kind of problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.