Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP COLOUR LASER JET PRO MFP M177FW

Hi 

please can you help I cannot get me printer to print anything just keep coming up with error code 54.2 turn off and then on.

I have done this and also taken all the ink cartridges out cleaned it all and put them back in . It still wont work . Please can any one help ? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @SHARON1969, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you are printing from your printer you are getting error 54.2 on your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try few steps recommended below.

If one or more toner cartridges are installed incorrectly, this may result in a 54.2 carousel rotation error. This error is typically accompanied by a loud grinding noise.

If the printer isn't making the noise with the toners all out, then it may be one of the toners causing this issue and making the noise. 

Check the toners over for any damage or blades hanging out.
Make sure they are Genuine HP Toners.

Also, try checking with a different cartridge on your printer.

Also, try resetting the printer and check if it helps.

Reset the printer
Press the Power button () to turn off the product.
   NOTE:
The product might not turn off after you press the Power button. Continue to the next step regardless.
Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
Wait 30 seconds.
Image of an hourglass that shows 30 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the electrical outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
Press the Power button () to turn on the product.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot error codes on your printer. Link: http://hp.care/2GbkWkS

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@SHARON1969 wrote:

Hi 

please can you help I cannot get me printer to print anything just keep coming up with error code 54.2 turn off and then on.

I have done this and also taken all the ink cartridges out cleaned it all and put them back in . It still wont work . Please can any one help ? 

HP Recommended

@bassim84

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Removing and reinstalling the print cartridges

For assistance in removing and reinstalling the print cartridges, see the instructions below:

1. Turn the printer off before starting this process.
  2. Lift the scanner lid (M175), and then open the toner access cover.
  3. Locate the carousel brake release, which is the small white tab in the slot shown in Figures 1. Using a small pen or screwdriver hold down, and then pull the tab back toward the front of the printer in order to disengage the brake.

Figure 1: Carousel brake release

1.jpg

1 - Carousel brake release

NOTE: To locate the carousel brake, face the front of the printer, and open the toner cartridge lid. The brake is located on the left side in line with the cartridges.

3. While holding the release, brake down, rotate the carousel forward or back to line up the black cartridge guides on the carousel to the proper position to remove the print cartridge(s) as shown in Figure 2.

Caution: Be careful not to touch the mag roller with the toner applied to it. Oils on your hands can cause damage to the toner mag roller

Figure 2: Proper alignment for removal

2.jpg

4. Remove the print cartridges when the carousel is in position for removal of the print cartridge.

5. Repeat this process to remove each remaining print cartridge.

6. Inspect the problem cartridge for damage (compare it to one of the other cartridges if necessary).

7. Once you have all the print cartridges removed you will need to turn the printer on.

8. Wait for the printer to prompt you for installation of the cartridges

9. Grasp the print cartridge by the centre handle, and then insert the print cartridge into the correct slot.

TIP - Look for colour-coded icons on the print cartridge slot to insert the print cartridge in the correct slot.

10. Close the print cartridge door.

11. After you close the print cartridge door, the control panel displays the 'Calibrating or initializing' message. Wait until the product is idle and silent before you proceed.

NOTE: If you need to replace another print cartridge, you must close the print cartridge door before touching the Cartridge Rotate button again.

12. If you need to replace other print cartridges, touch the Supplies icon (3.jpg) again, and then select the next print cartridge.

13. Touch Cartridge Rotate to rotate the carousel to the next print cartridge and then repeat the previous steps to replace the print cartridge.

CAUTION: Wait until the rotation sounds stop before you open the print cartridge door each time.

14. After you close the print cartridge door, the control panel displays the 'Calibrating or initializing' message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.