Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My home network contains three laptop computers. Two of them run Windows 8, and the third one runs Windows 7.

I set up my Envy 5540 to print wirelessly, then downloaded files to each laptop separately. All of them were able to print from day one.

For some reason, one of the Windows 8 laptops lost its ability to print wirelessly. When I tried to print a document, it acted normally, except that the document went into the printer queue and got stuck there. I know that the laptop is still communicating with the printer because I was able to run some tests on the printer from that computer.

When I looked at the queue from another computer, it was empty.

I deleted all printer drivers/files from the offending laptop and reinstalled everything. It still does not work.

I noticed that one of the laptops that still works has the printer on a port described as "HP network re-discovery port monitor." The non-printing laptop has the printer attached to a COM port.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Let's try these steps:

Restart print services and clear the print folder:

• Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >
  • Scroll down, find, andStop Print Spooler Service
  • Delete files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  • Start Print Spooler Service

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @KlavaKantPrint,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues while printing from your HP Envy printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61235/mp-147821-1/EN5540_Full_WebPack_1119.exe  to download and install the updated printer drivers.
  • In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - Wireless Troubleshooting

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have replaced the Windows 8 computer with a Windows 10 laptop. The problem still occurs--but only with that laptop. Oh, and this morning, instead of leaving the document in the printer queue, it just deleted it!!

Sometimes it is sufficient to start and stop the print spooler. Sometimes I have to reinstall the printer on one of the computers. I don't mind fixing this occasionally, but my wife doesn't want to learn how to do it, so she cannot print when I am not home. What I really want is a permanent solution. Why is this a problem only with her computer? Mine (the Windows 7 platform) always prints--EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. This is frustrating.

HP Recommended

@KlavaKantPrint

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This could be a Windows 10 issue. Do you have any other Windows 10 computer to try installing the drivers on that?

Meanwhile, let;s do this:

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Before I get into the weeds on this, will any of these suggestions require me to start over with the other two computers? I want to know how many hours to plan for this project.

Edit: The other two computers are still printing. This one is not. The second suggestion took less than an hour to implement.

HP Recommended

Edit: Nothing has worked so far. Details follow in a separate post.

HP Recommended

I now have one Windows 8 computer and one Windows 10 computer that are printing without any issues. A second Windows 10 computer is not working. All other computers have been taken off my network.

HP Recommended

Try the second suggestion and keep us posted 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No go... The print queue shows "Spooling," then "Printing," then "Deleting." That's all.

The steps I took:

(verified that no USB cable was plugged in)

1.) In Windows, I opened Applications and Features

2.) Selected my HP Printer

3.) Selected Uninstall

4, 5) Verified that my HP printer was no longer in the Printers & Scanners window

6-12) Ran the printui.exe /s command and confirmed that there were no HP drivers on the Drivers tab

13-14) Opened c:/programdata/HP and verified that there were no printer related folders or files

15.) Restarted the computer

16) Installed software from https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers (HP Envy 5540 Full WebPack)

17) Made a wireless connection to the printer and completed the "Information about your device" survey

18) Opened the HP Printer Assistant and confirmed that the printer and computer were communicating with each other

19) Attempted to print a test page

WHAT HAPPENED: The printer queue briefly showed that my test page was "Spooling," then "Printing," then "Deleting." It did NOT print.

HP Recommended

Let's try these steps:

Restart print services and clear the print folder:

• Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >
  • Scroll down, find, andStop Print Spooler Service
  • Delete files from C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
  • Start Print Spooler Service

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.