Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M751Enterprise

Hi,

I am getting this error when I try to print from Quark Xpress 2018 or 2019 a document that contain a few lines of text.

The printer freezes completely and I have to restart it.

If I print the document to pdf and try to print that, everything is fine.

The document prints OK in other non HP printers (Xerox and Lexmark) that are on the premises, and to an older HP Laserjet M551.

Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You need to confirm that your firmware is up to date and if not, update to the current revision. The printer is getting print commands it does not understand and that causes it to post that error.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I think I have the September firmware and not the latest November one. I will update and see if it fixes the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi,

An update on the issue: 

I installed the latest firmware, but the issue remains. The only way that I can print to the printer is either by creating a pdf file and printing that, or use a generic PCL printer driver, that has limited capabilities regarding paper management.

I have not mentioned before that I am using a Mac with Mac OS 10.14.6.

Any thoughts? 

HP Recommended

I would suggest that you format the drive in the printer and start fresh. In some cases if there is firmware corruption just updating does not resolve that corruption.  You state generic PCL driver, are you running Windows virtually by any chance?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it on Thursday and let you know.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper, you were correct on your first post.

The printer was indeed getting data it did not recognise. It was  the filenames that caused the error. Apparently the filename included special characters, which passed in the postscript file that the printer got.

I tried renaming the files to plain alphanumeric names, and so far I am printing error free. Fingers crossed...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.