Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M1132 MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

please help, i am getting error E3 despite the fact that i changed the cartridge, made sure all packaging is remover, cleaned the iner part from paper, unplugged and replugged for many times.

is there a way to reset?

thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My pleasure. In case the E3 is an indication of a paper jam (could make sense given the noises your describing), try the steps here: Clear a Paper Jam for HP LaserJet Pro M1130 and LaserJet Pro M1210 Multifunction Printer Series.

If the issue continues to persist, it would be best for you to call us. 

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Good morning and welcome to the HP Forums @Ziaman!

I understand you are seeing error E3 on your printer and have already started troubleshooting. Here's a post I found, written by @Gemini02, specific to this error that may help:

The error usually means that the print cartridge is missing or it is not installed correctly. You have already reseated the toners and have the same results.

Are you using Genuine HP Toner?

Did you just change the toner and started getting this error message?

Make sure all the packing material is removed from the toner.

Make sure there isn't a piece of paper pulled part way in from the paper tray blocking the sensor.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Source

If this helps you to resolve the issue, please be sure to click on the Accept as Solution button below to mark your post as solved. If the issue persists, let me know and I will do all I can to help. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much, however the problem is still there.

The issue is that i am using the same cartridge on another HP printer and it is working.

HP Recommended

Based on that information, I imagine the issue has to do with the printer. Please try removing the toner, leaving the printer on and unplugging the power cable. After a minute, plug the printer back in and wait for it to indicate the toner is missing. Install the toner and check the screen. 

If the continues, let me know and as a last ditch effort we can try resetting the printer. 

Talk to you soon. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Really thank you for all the support, sory to say still the same E3, even the printer is not making the usual sound when iI turn it on.

HP Recommended

My pleasure. In case the E3 is an indication of a paper jam (could make sense given the noises your describing), try the steps here: Clear a Paper Jam for HP LaserJet Pro M1130 and LaserJet Pro M1210 Multifunction Printer Series.

If the issue continues to persist, it would be best for you to call us. 

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Well,

can you send me the details of how to perform a printer reset.

i can try this.

as for the noise, i do not hear it, i mean the usual scrolling sound that i used to hear when i turn the printer on

Thank you again,

HP Recommended

I misread our previous post. When you said " even the printer is not making the usual sound when I turn it on." I read 'unusual', my mistake! 

Yes I will send you reset instructions. There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know by @Bob_Headrick

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Please take a moment to read HP’s Privacy Policy at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html  This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

thank you very much as the printer is now working.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with my M1132 printer the E3 error code, i have tried all the above and still the E3 code is still there stopping me from using my printer.

Please can you tell me how to reset my printer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.