Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Our office employees recently upgraded their iMacs to the latest OS, 10.14 Mojave. After completing the software update we have had had issues printing. I updated both the driver and firmware to the most recent versions. The printer is corrected via LAN. When utilizing the HP Printer Utility, we can see the printer disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times in a span of 20 seconds. When a user attempts to print a document it will sit in queue, not print and then disappear. Test pages will print correctly. I also received the event code 55.3000 "Engine / Formatter Communicaton Error". Any help on how to resolve is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@CrestviewClerk

A warm welcome to HP Support Community!

An Engine/ formatter communication error typically indicates that the cable that connects the engine control PCA to the formatter might be loose or damaged. Power resetting the printer may clear the error. Let's try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of the toner cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the toner cartridges.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for assistance. The solution you provided seemed to temporarily assist but we still seem to be having issues. When I'm accessing the HP Utility application, I am repeatedly getting notifications that my device is disconnected and then it tries to reconnect. As well as a print job tends to pause on its own more often than not. What would be you other suggested solutions? Thanks!

HP Recommended

@CrestviewClerk

You are welcome! Updating the printer firmware and assigning a static IP for the printer might stop the printer from constantly disconnecting from the network. The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

Removing the existing printer driver and setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint should also help. Instructions on how to setup the printer with Apple AirPrint can be found here

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried both utilizing a manual IP address and adding the print utilizing "Secure AirPrint". We are still having the same connectivity issues. 

HP Recommended

@CrestviewClerk

We could try restoring the printer to default settings, restoring default settings should clear all the network settings saved on the printer:

1.) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the printer.

2.) On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.

3.) Scroll to and touch the Service menu.

4.) Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button.

5.) Connect the Ethernet cable.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.