Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M118dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My LJ Pro M118dw, only a little over a year old, tells me "Paper jam in fuser." But no paper fed into the printer, and I can't see any problem (after opening all ways, removing cartridge and drum, etc. Tried unplugging with printer on "to reset printer," recommended in manual. "Paper jam in fuser" keeps coming up whenever I turn the printer on.  Suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The printer thinks there is a problem with the fuser.  Printers detect jams and problems in the paper path with two techniques:

1. Paper sensors in the paper path detect and time a piece of media as it rolls from one sensor to another.

2. Individual components have sensors, like the fuser, that need to perform within a certain window.  If they fail to rotate or function then one of the programmed responses is to check for paper jams.

Locate the fuser on your printer and pull it out.  Make sure it is free from debris any otherwise health.  Check the fuser bay for crud and clean it out.  Check the sensors before and after the fuser if you can, make sure they are clear.  Plug the fuser back in and try agian. If the problem persists then swap the fuser with a new one.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Thanks, John. But. The term "fuser" doesn't occur in the M118 user manual and I have no idea what or where it is. ????

I have pulled the toner cartridge and imaging drum, inspected, found nothing, used a can of compressed air on them and the interior of the printer (turned the printer on its side, but of course couldn't get very close to anything).  

So, the problem persists. ??? 

HP Recommended

The fuser is a component that applies heat and pressure to the paper.  The heat and pressure bonds the statically charged toner particles to the paper for a smooth, hot and durable finish.

More info on the components of a laser printer:

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/laserprinters.html

The fuser is the last piece of the paper trail.  It would be located near the output bin of the printer.  Paper usually rolls through the fuser into the output bin.  If you ever feel your paper after printing, the heat is from the fuser unit.

If you are unable to locate the fuser or uncomfortable repairing this part then you have the following options:

1. Call the printer into HP for any existing warranty work that is available

2. Call the printer into a local PC Repair shop and ask for a quote

3. Locate a Service Manual for your printer model and attempt to swap the part on your own.  Service Manuals contain part numbers which are very helpful when ordering replacement parts from 3rd party parts suppliers.

I suggest proceeding from options 1, to 2, and then 3.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Thanks again, John. But. My compressed-air work on the "output bin," which is where you are saying the fuser is, did not help. And I can't see any obvious way to take that thing apart. Also, I have diligently searched for a "service manual," to no avail. Warranty has expired. So I'll buy a new one. Skip the hassle of trying for "service" which would probably cost as much as the price on a new printer, last I looked at about only $100. And the imaging drum in my now-deceased model (just a little over a year old) would probably need to be replaced within the year, which would have cost me about $100. And now, along with my new printer, I will have a spare high-capacity toner cartridge with about half its life left, and a spare imaging drum that might last long enough to be worthwhile as a replacement for my new printer when its drum expires – assuming the new printer doesn't too-soon crap out with a false paper jam. Somehow it seems something is wrong with the way this thing works out. But thanks for offering your expertise. – VineyZeke 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.