Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 1012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This HP 1012 Laser printer has been working perfectly for many years. All of a sudden it does not receive either the print job data or a print command. I have gone through all the diagnostics HP recommends with no help. I tried hooking the printer up to a different computer with the same result. The printer will print a test page if requested by pushing a button on the printer, but will not print a test page if ordered from the computer. Since the drivers installed on both computers are the same, I don't think it is a software issue.  Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

How are you connecting to the printer, USB or network?

If network, it could be the printer's IP address has changed. Check the printer's IP address and change it back to what the computer is set to, or change the printer driver to the new IP address of the printer. If USB, have you tried a different cable?

HP Recommended

Printer connected via USB cable. I connected it to a different computer via USB and h ad the same problem. Suggests to me that the problem is in the printer itself. It is an old printer, so maybe time to go. Unfortunate because the electromechanical operation works faultlessly.

HP Recommended

But, have you tried a new or different known working USB cable? I have seen them go bad for no visible reason.

HP Recommended

Have tried 3 different cables on two different computers.

There ought to be a way to accurately diagnose the problem, but I can't find any HP tool that will do that.

HP Recommended

Well, there's really only one thing left that makes sense at this point, replacing the Printer Main Logic/Formatter Board Q2465-60001. It seems that it is no longer able to communicate.

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure you are right. I doubt that motherboard is still available, and, even if it is, I'm sure it would cost more than a new printer. A brand new HP Laserjet Pro M15A is $60 on eBay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.