Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CE538A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My HP Laserjet 1536dnf multifunction printer shows the 'Firmware Corrupt Ready 2 Download' message. I have read few treads in the forum, tried some proposed solution, but still the printer is notworking. I removed the whole application and tried to reinstall but printer would not be detect (LAN or USB), so installation of the application could not be performed. Can't acces the printer with USB connection as well.

I am desesperately looking for a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

II agree with your analysis on the status of the formatter. For every story I hear about baking a board and actually working, there are a lot if this did not work stories. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive replacement. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

If you power off the printer, unplug the usb, restart the printer and then plug it into the computer do you get the USB connection sound? If not, then most likely your formatter is bunk. If you do get the sound then you will need to install a generic driver send the firmware and then change the port on that driver until you find the port that the printer is on. It will then update the firmware.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper,

Thank you for the response.

I did try the solution. When I follow the procedure after the USB connection, there is a sound! 🙂 . Looking at the device manager, the USB port (printer) is not recongnize by Windows (10). I am not able to connect thus not able to update the generic printer driver. 

Any suggestion?

HP Recommended

Add new printer by assigning connected port as LPT1 and after its finished then resend firmware through USB cable connected.

During this time change the connected port in the printer property from LPT1 to USB001 and click apply then looking into M1536's front panel until you are seeing something like Erasing & Progressing..... on the front panel and waiting its ending.

If you do see it then it's the right connected port(USB001) if you can't see anything changing then change the connected port to USB002 (if there is) and click apply then USB003..... and so on until you'v tried every one of them.

You may need to try every USB0xx in your printer property to see its changing. 

If you do see one then hope it works after its ended if it failed after all your trying then you need to replace the formatter.

Before you're going to replace the formatter you may like to try to save it back by baking it in the oven.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=HP+laserjet+P2015+bake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErGK9VU2ivM&t=19s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDSNqFGGmI&t=421s

Not the same model as M1536 but you can try it anyway.

May 2024 update: Printer started behaving the same way as it did in March 2021, so we did board bake #3. I also replaced the toner, as it finally got to the point where the print was still faded despite giving the toner a good shake. I got over 4300 prints on the 53A toner, which had an install ...
HP Recommended

It has nothing to do with device manager, I do not have time this morning to provide details. Look for a posting late Saturday night with instructions. 

HP Recommended

see this post for further directions: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Firmware-corrupt-ready-2-download-cp1525nw/td-p/7280...

I have no USB printers on my system so I do not have any usb ports but you will see a list similar to the com ports I circled usually labelled usb0001, usb0002 or something similar. You try each of those ports.

Here are the steps to manually install the printer. Where you see my selection of a com port you should choose the first usb port on your list. 

First go to control panel>devices and printers and the click "add a printer" on the window that opens to search click on the  "the printer I want is not isted" which opens  the "find printer by other options" windows where you click the last option which is manually install then click "next"

manually add a printer step 1.jpg

The "choose a printer port" window will open and you select existing port and then select the first USB port that you see listed and click next.

manually add a printer step 2.jpg

You are the a printer driver. You can select almost any HP laserjet driver for this step, I show the UPD driver because I use it for most of my printers.

manually add a printer step 3.jpg

If promted to use or replace driver select "replace"

manually add a printer step 4.jpg

Give the printer a name you can easily find. 

manually add a printer step 5.jpg

Once this is done, run the 1536 firmware update tool and select the printer name you gave this manually installed driver and perform the firmware upgrade. If the printer shows receiving upgrade  you are a winner first try. Wait for it to finnish and you should be back on the road. If the printer does not show receiving upgrade, wait until the firmware update program finishes, then go back to control panel>devices and printers and right click the icon for your printer, select printer properties and change the port on the driver to the next usb port until  you have tried them all. If none work then at that point I would suggest looking for a replacement.

HP Recommended

both my printer and hp scan and capture app were working fine after I downloaded the proper software/drivers for both.  then, without warning both stopped working.  after having several Microsoft technicians work on it, they gave up.  now  I can't reinstall my printer and when I try I just get an error message "no status available"   my printer is a hp laserjet m1217

HP Recommended

Hi Repairstrooper,

Sorry for the delay to respond. In the meantime, I baked the board and tried the proposed solution. I am now able to connect to the printer via the usb port 0001. When sending the firmware update to the printer, there is a downloading message on the printer module screen :), but after few seconds I have the following message: 'Fatal error 7, please contact HP Support'  :((. 

Guess this is as far as I can go! Guess the formatter board need  replacement???

HP Recommended

II agree with your analysis on the status of the formatter. For every story I hear about baking a board and actually working, there are a lot if this did not work stories. Hopefully you can find an inexpensive replacement. 

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper,

Thank you again for your valuable time trying to help me bringing back to life my 1536dnf MFP.

As I investigated to find a formatter board that would be affordable and quickly available, I could not find any replacement board below the 80 $ USD mark with weeks for delivery... I had to come to the conclusion that it was sadly time to look for a new multifunction printer. After ten years of valuable performance, beside the fact that I would rather prefer repair at a affordable pricing, logically investing into an old machine would probably end-up spending way to much money on an already outdated printer...

Thank you again for you valuable time and advices.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.