Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP laserJet 1536dnf MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have spent HOURS, repeat, HOURS, attempting to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.  

I have owned this machine for a decade.  Up until November '18, it has performed flawlessly.  Until November '18.  What began intermittently in November, is now endemic.  My connections DID NOT CHANGE from October '18 to November '18.

I am using Windows 10, 64 bit.  The machine is connected to my gateway/router via ethernet cable.  I am experiencing the same problems without regard to the device from which I am printing.  So....it isn't computer centric.

Again, I have spent HOURS trying to resolve this issue.  I have read and implemented inumerable posts from HP sites as well as other blogs.  If i cannot resolve this issue shortly, I will sadly decide to purchase another machine, likely a competitor make and one that I might be assured will play nice with Windows, wireless networks, etc.  I am an accomplished aerospace engineer.  I embark upon computer/software issues only in self defense.  I do not enjoy spending my time with computer/software issues.

THE PROBLEM: (1) the printer often falls off line, and is resistant to coming back on line.  (2) When I initially send a job to the printer at the start of a work session, although the printer is on, it is unresponsive.  When this happens, the LCD on the printer is FROZEN, and the printer is unresponsive to input keypad strokes.  (3) When the printer is in this state, I power it off, and back on.  The printer re-initiates and will often print the prior job.  (4) At this point, I may then successfully print two or three jobs, the printer will then print a blank page, then the printer ceases to print once again and I receive an error alert.  (5) If I power cycle the printer, it often will print a previous job, then successfully print for another two or three jobs...  rinse and repeat.  The printer is in another room of the house from my office.  I don't mind getting my steps in, but I don't like having to re-cycle the printer EVERY TIME I print something....

After HOURS of troubleshooting and examining and following mostly HP "solutions" to the problem, this is what I have done: (1) I have power cycled my gateway/router, REPEATEDLY.  (2) I have power cycled the printer, REPEATEDLY.  This has included the ridiculous steps of disconnecting the cable from the router, then disconnecting the power cable from the printer, then disconnecting the printer power cable from the outlet (no, it is not attached to a "power strip/adapter"), then re-attaching all (all this has resulted in the printer temporarily functioning correctly, as described above). (4) I have DISABLED ipv6 (per HP suggested solution, whatever the hell that is) in the https "control panel" for my printer.  (5) I have assigned the printer a STATIC IP address (this is as a result of the HP god's STRONG ADVICE, which, of course, did NOT solve any problems), OUTSIDE my gateway's random assignment bandwidth.  This took some doing as the gateway originally laid claim to ALL IP addresses.  I had to minimize that to 50 which I think should be enough.  (6) I have removed the printer (using Windows) and re-installed it, REPEATEDLY.  (7) I have updated the drivers from the printer from the HP website, I've lost count, but several times (8) I have updated the firmware for the printer from the HP website.   (Interesting note: NEVER before did the printer have a "power save" option.  Now, it does, not that I was concerned about saving power.  Conversely, this new "power save" capability, I suspect, is responsible for the printers "vapor lock".  I could be wrong, and probably am...).  (9) I have alternatively enabled/disabled the SHCMPS, or something like that, for the printer.  (10) I have changed the printer properties to print immediately, and/or spool print.  This is a household printer.  Nobody but those I live with are fighting with me to get their printed pages first.... (11) I have REPEATEDLY downloaded and attempted to use that stupid HP Scan/Print Doctor.  it always tells me that it "can't connect to the printer"...... duh....  Thanks for that.  (12) I cross my fingers now every time I attempt to print.  I hold my tongue in my mouth just right, when I attempt to print, and finally (13) i have strongly considered throwing that old, reliable MFP out my second story window and dash it onto the concrete driveway before I go buy a brother, Samsung (wonderful TVs btw) or another flavor...

I want a solution to my problem.  The firmware/hardware geeks, as usual, have thoroughly screwed up the functionality of a fine machine, which, when it works, works flawlessly.  I just LOVE HPs customer service.  Trying to find a telephone number to call for those of us that are drowning is like trying to find the Lost Ark of the Covenant in the National Archives....  And no, I don't like the HP "Virtual" assistant....  That just tries to send me to the same old crap.

My business relationship with the HP 1536dnf MFP, as Maximus said, "will soon be at an end" unless someone who actually can help me solve this problem, does so.  HELP and thanks....

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@User2019x

Welcome to HP forums.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via private message.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i have the same problem

kindly help

HP Recommended

It's a formatter issue and needed to be replaced.

You can try to NVRAM first then try to bake it next if still doesn't work the formatter needed to be replaced.

NVRAM

Product resets
To restore the product to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.
1. Turn the product off.
2. Press and hold the Right arrow button and the Cancel button at the same time.
3. While holding down both buttons, turn the product on.
4. Continue to hold both buttons until Permanent Storage init. appears on the display, and then release both buttons.

bake

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/HP-LaserJet-1536-dnf-MFP-freezes-after-power-up/m-p/...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.