Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I just updated the firmware and now it will not recognize the cartridges.  I turned off all the controls in the User Controls for "Authentic" cartridges.  I am so frustrated I am about to ditch using HP.  

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hey @cherireinke,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums.

I see that you are having some issues with some cartridges after updating the firmware on your Laserjet M252dw Printer. I can help you with that, however I am going to need to know the error message as it appears on the printer's front panel. Once I know that I will be better able to assist you.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

It says unauthorized supplies.  I am not using HP ink.  I turned off both the security settings.  

HP Recommended

It sounds like the security settings you are referring to are for preventing other people from taking the cartridges out of your printer and using them in their printer instead.

That said, if you are not using genuine, non-refilled toners and the printer is having issues with communicating with the cartridge, you are going to need to replace the cartridges with genuine, non-refilled cartridges.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem!

I work for a small tech support business and we have a Color Laserjet M252dw that was operating 100% fine until a firmware update got installed. Now, the printer continuously states "Supply Memory Error" and refuses to print anything.
Absolutely nothing has changed about the printer besides the firmware update. This printer had been in use for almost exactly one year without issue, and had been successfully using remanufactured (read: NOT Genuine HP cartrides) cartridges because as a small business, we can't justify spending a hundreds of dollars on name brand cartridges every few months.
Am I correct in understanding that HP has sent out a firmware update that DELIBERATELY and UNAPOLOGETICALLY cripples an otherwise fully functional printer, just because HP wanted to make a little extra cash off of people not using "genuine" supplies? 
Is there a way to downgrade the firmware of the printer to before this unnecessary and infuriating feature was implimented? 

I need answers. No, I'm not buying genuine HP supplies. I'll buy a non-HP printer instead, and be an extremly vocal advocate that customers immediately dump HP for their shady business tactics. I've never been disappointed with an HP product before, but then again I've never had an HP product been deliberately crippled for such a petty and ridiculous reason. 

Please respond. 

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem as nicktaylormark. If any of you guys can get the previous firmware file, please email it to me at [Personal Information Removed] Our M252dw is still under warranty, so if we can't get the old firmware, we are going to insist up a new replacement printer from HP. There is going to be big firestorm over this as more and more customers discover their printers have intentionally been made to not work. Not only is it unethical, but it is illegal. HP needs to make the old firmware available pronto, which will totally head off a potentially very bad situation. Why do crisis management, when you don't need a crisis. Meg Whitman is going to hear about this, if we don't get a resolution HP - please send me the old firmware file. John tel [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

So basically you are saying I have to buy $400 worth of your ink or I'm DOA.  That is criminal.  If anyone gets the firmware rollback, let me know.  I see a class action here.  

HP Recommended

HP - We love our M252dw printer. Please please, please email us the older firmware file so it will work again. On a side note, we deal with Epson large-format photo printers, having worked with several thousand units over several years. we have also handled HP Designjet large-format printer. On many occasions we have rolled back firmware upgrades because of problems that have come to light with a new firmware upgrade. This is a standard procedure and very easy to do. Epson has and will routinely provide us new and older firmware files. Just need the HP file now. Thank you, in advance. John Harrington tel [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended
Good news everyone. I found an earlier firmware version right on my computer (M252_Series_FW_Update-20150716) that loaded fine and am now able to use my third party cartridges that have always worked fine. Yeah! Do a search on your computer, you may be in luck I also found other older firmware out there at, http://www.trikprinter.com/2016/05/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m252dw-driver.html, which was version M252_Series_FW_Update-20160331. It probably would also work. JVH John Harrington
HP Recommended
jvhman, you know at sucky ole american online. a clue to contact me to get the file
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.