Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have large streaks of magenta and yellow on the right side of every printout on my Laserjet Pro MFP M277DW.

I've run multiple cleaning pages.  I even get the streaks if I print a blank page.  Also, I have large amounts of loose yellow toner on the transfer belt.  After reaching in and gently using a soft microfiber cleaning pad to get it off the belt, it keeps coming back.  Looking in over the transfer belt, I see that there is a lot of yellow and magenta toner in the belt wiper.  One HP expert said to check the toner collection unit.   Where is that?  Is it possible to save the printer when there is toner visible on the wiper?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If you see toner on the belt and the toner is in the pure colors that is yellow is not mixed in with anything and magenta is not mixed in with anything then in all likelihood it's coming from the toner cartridges.

The nature of the transfer belt is to attract any toner that is on the drums in the toner cartridges.

The way it works is the toner is attracted to the belt and then it is carried around and transferred to the paper and then carried further on to the Belt cleaner and then scraped off the belt and put into the toner collection unit.

In other words it sounds like you have two defective cartridges that need to be replaced.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

It looks like that you have to replace both the yellow and magenta toner cartridges.

But before you're doing that you can try to clean the cartridge's waste bin to see if you can save them back.

You will need a few pieces of business cards and a garbage can which used to collect the wasted toner powerder.

Do as the pictures show you.

56709.jpg56710.jpg56711.jpg

HP Recommended

Someone must have been in error.  The M277 does not have a collection unit.  Just for kicks, I went to our lab and asked the techs to show me how to install it in an M277.  They gave me a strange look...  Sounds like what the others have said, you have two bad toner.  If you are using remanufactured or generic toner,  keep in mind that the toner for an HP color unit is unlike any other brand.  What gives it great color also makes it difficult for off-brands to properly seal up the end of the cartridge. 

HP Recommended

If you have a toner collection bottle, then it could be that the cleaning augur is clogged.   This post was originally about a LJ- 750 and I'm not familiar with your specific machine.     To check the cleaning augur you will have to pull the transfer belt out and the cleaning augur is at the left end (when looking at the belt from the front).   It looks like a long corkscrew piece of wire that pushes the excess toner into a collection bottle at the back of the machine.   If the collection bottle is full it will give you a specific error message about that, if you're getting no error message then it is probably a case where the augur is clogged or broken and not pushing the excess toner out of the machine.   You can vacuum out the clogged toner and see if it starts working again.   If the augur is broken the only solution is to replace the transfer belt, from what I understand, but you should call a technician before doing that.    Otherwise your toners are just leaking more toner and you need to replace the toner cartridges.   Are you using remanufacured cartridges?  Those fail a lot. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for that.  I did try using a biz card in all the cartridges and it seems to have reduced the streaking but there are still very faint streaks of black.  I had a kitchen sink full of black toner!

Could you be more specific regarding off-brands having difficulty sealing the end of the cartridge?

Also:  Has anyone here tried Supplies Outlet in Reno?  They are telling me that the cartridge's overflow containers must be full and therefore the cartridge needs replacing even though I've not printed more than 1000 pgs, if that much!  

I don't know whether to give them another chance or not.

HP Recommended

Since there are still very faint streaks of black after your cleaning then it's bad needed to be replaced.

If your off-brand cartridges used no longer than one year and can't be returned to get renewed than you shouldn't buy any from the same dealer.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help but the problem turned out to be a broken cleaning augur, which was solved by replacing the transfer belt.    

HP Recommended

I have a Laser Jet Pro M452dh.  Recently it has started printing horizontal streaks across the paper, expecially graphics.  The color is very  dull also

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.