Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M277n
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Printer HP Color LaserJet MFP M277n, is connected to the network and I am able to print and scan. While attempt to get HP Web services Enable from the Web services setup page, it shows an error: " Connection error, check internet connection".

After entering the IP address of the printer in the browser, I am able to detect the printer. Want to activate HP e print, but unable to do so view the above error. Tried lot of things including  re instaling. When I check from the printer, it says proxy settings are required/ incorrect, where as confirmed from the service provider that they don't use proxy server.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @JljoThomas!

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are having an issue enabling the web services feature on your HP LaserJet Pro M277n MFP. I'd love to help you with this.

Firstly, do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause. Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector
In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector
^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection.

If you are still unable to connect to web services after trying these steps, we can try setting a manual DNS server for your printer to connect to.

On the front panel of the printer, touch the wireless icon. Select the Wireless ON to get the wireless summary. Make not of your IP address.

1. On your computer open an internet browser and enter the printer's IP address in the address bar. This will bring up the Embedded Web Server page (EWS).

2. At the top of the page select Networking.

3. From the left hand side, select Network Identification.

4. Under the section for DNS, under Primary (IPv4) enter 8.8.8.8, under Secondary (IPv4) enter 8.8.4.4.

5. Select Apply at the bottom of the screen.

6. Try enabling the web services again.

If still unable to connect, try entering 209.244.0.3 for the Primary (IPv4), and 209.244.0.4 for the Secondary (IPv4)

Hope this helps!!

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @JljoThomas!

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are having an issue enabling the web services feature on your HP LaserJet Pro M277n MFP. I'd love to help you with this.

Firstly, do you have the printer connected directly to a wall outlet or is it in a surge protector or power bar? Even if you have been using a surge protector/power bar all this time and you feel it is not the cause, please connect it to a wall outlet just so we can eliminate the power source as the root cause. Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector
In this document you will see, ISSUE: Problems or issues may arise when an HP LaserJet series printer is connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), a power strip, or a surge protector
^ This is not limited to Laserjet printers.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, let's leave the router on and unplug the power cable (NOTE: Do not reset the router.), then do the same with the printer, and shut down the computer. After a full minute, plug the router back in, wait for it to fully power up, then plug the printer back in and wait for the wireless light to become solid. Once both the router and printer are on, go ahead and turn the computer back on. Doing this will refresh the network connection.

If you are still unable to connect to web services after trying these steps, we can try setting a manual DNS server for your printer to connect to.

On the front panel of the printer, touch the wireless icon. Select the Wireless ON to get the wireless summary. Make not of your IP address.

1. On your computer open an internet browser and enter the printer's IP address in the address bar. This will bring up the Embedded Web Server page (EWS).

2. At the top of the page select Networking.

3. From the left hand side, select Network Identification.

4. Under the section for DNS, under Primary (IPv4) enter 8.8.8.8, under Secondary (IPv4) enter 8.8.4.4.

5. Select Apply at the bottom of the screen.

6. Try enabling the web services again.

If still unable to connect, try entering 209.244.0.3 for the Primary (IPv4), and 209.244.0.4 for the Secondary (IPv4)

Hope this helps!!

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi Teacher!,

Many thanks for the reply.  Infact I got it alright today morning by the service centre guy, he used the technique exactly as explained by you, but a different DNS address. Thank you once agin for the help.

HP Recommended

Good Morning 

i buy new printer Hp Laserjet pro and i installed it to my boss Laptop.. i installed the drivers connection is ok. but this is the problem that i encounter. its print on web but it not printing any document. even test print 

the model of the printer is HP Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277n 

Hope guys you help me on this 

i try everything change usb cable uninstall the driver and install again but still same problem.

thank alot 

waiting for your reply

HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue on a new mfp m225dn fully updated win7 x64 . Firmware version appears to be the same as listed on driver site. However I can access the HP web services and have a hp eprint email setup...I can send and print the TEXT ONLY but (.doc, .pdf, .xls etc) attachments will not print they seem to get stripped. ( i have another ticket open for this issue) 

I have tried the power cycling of all devices as suggested and changed the DNS servers to google and your suggested Level3 DNS.

When trying to select the HP jet direct update from the control panel I get"Connection Error - Check Internet Connection"

I can ping the device, and print just fine from my desktop but the HPeprint and update confirmation seems to be an issue.

(modem firewall security is set to low as possible.)

HELP?

HP Recommended

Just bought a m277c6 from costco.  Easy setup.  But have a similar problem with setting up web services.  I have comcast and also have changed my DNS as suggested.  I also have my own DNS server I used to see that the printer is querying a couple of address:

Apr 5 00:14:39 amdk7 dnsmasq[707]: reply h20593.www2.hp.com is <CNAME>
Apr 5 00:14:39 amdk7 dnsmasq[707]: reply registration.hpeprint.com is 15.50.65.29

ping registration.hpeprint.com
PING registration.hpeprint.com (15.50.65.29) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from registration-pro-site9eprint.itcs.hp.com (15.50.65.29): icmp_req=1 ttl=241 time=58.8 ms
64 bytes from registration-pro-site9eprint.itcs.hp.com (15.50.65.29): icmp_req=2 ttl=241 time=66.6 ms

ping h20593.www2.hp.com
PING registration.hpeprint.com (15.48.65.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from registration-pro-site4eprint.itcs.hp.com (15.48.65.90): icmp_req=1 ttl=241 time=59.2 ms
64 bytes from registration-pro-site4eprint.itcs.hp.com (15.48.65.90): icmp_req=2 ttl=241 time=57.4 ms

If you access the registration.hpeprint.com with a browser you get "Invalid request"  I don't think it is a DNS problem.  I have no network issue in my LAN.

Seems like an issue on the print with how it queries the site or the site itself. Or the server it is connecting too.

Any help?

Does anyone know how to get the syslog forwarding to work.  I tried to forward logs to my ubuntu box but it did not work.  Thought that might shed some light on the issue.

HP Recommended
Going to registration.hpeprint.com is also "invalid request" so what are you trying to accomplish and given your username what is your system and lan like?
And you can go to the ip address of the printer?
Like 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x

And it pings ok?

Dunno enuf about Linux if that changes anything... Hmmm
HP Recommended

Because the solution from the HP support keep suggesting it is a DNS problem I pointed out what is being resolved.  I'm really hoping to get some help from some one at HP that might have a clue or willing to debug so I can get this fixed and maybe it will help several others with this problem.  It does sound like that changing DNS only helps a few not all. 

The point of accessing the URL is to point out what happens and if HP can help dig into the issue.  Not trying to accomplish more than that as I have already tried the switching DNS solution (does not work).  Updating my firmware (Did not make any difference).  Changing from wired to wireless.  There appears to be an internal problem with teh printer accessing the stated URL's, even if there are valid and resolve.

Ping is not the issue, as I said the URL and IP seem to be valid as I can access them (and ping them).  So I really don't think it is a DNS issue.  As for which ports are used by HP, I would assime being a web service they are using port 80 (or 443).  I have never had any issues with my provider with outside port access.

It really seems like a server problem with the printer client connection.  If an HP tech support person can help get the syslog remote logging working it might show us the problem.

I have experience with Linux systems and this might help in debugging the issue.  Anyone from HP who reads this can you escalate this beyond first level support.

HP Recommended
Any word or update on this?
HP Recommended

Yes, have tried everything you suggested but to no success.  Any other suggestions, please?  Like the previous posts, I have no problem with the printer when doing all other jobs.  No problem with the wireless, no problem with other functions of the printer.  The only problem is trying to enable the web service to obtain the email address for enabling eprint.  Have tried for 2 days now and nothing seems to work...  There is the same error message of "no internet connection".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.