Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet 3600n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a new Dell Precision with Windows 10 (64-bit).  I am trying to connect my HP Color Laserjet 3600n.  When I view the device manager, the printer is listed as "Unspecified".  I am getting a message that it can't be connected to a USB3, but my understanding is the ports are backwards compatible.  The USB ports work on all my other devices that were made prior to USB3

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The USB ports are probably the least of your issues.

As far as I'm aware, there are no printer drivers available for Laserjet 3600 printers on Windows 10 systems.

Nor (as far as I'm aware) is there any plan to produce any drivers - these printers are 'host-based' and use a proprietary Page Description Language - they don't suppport any of the 'traditional' PDLs (PCL5, PCL6, PostScript), which means that none of the Universal Printer Drivers can be used.

I believe that quite a few printers (not just your model) have issues with USB3 ports - one workaround (which apparently sometimes works) is to use a USB2 multi-port adapter (plugged in to the USB3 port).

HP Recommended

I have tried to use a USB2 multi-port adapter (plugged in to the USB3 port).  I still got the same error message about the USB3 problem.  

The computer that I am replacing is also a Dell and the operating system is also Windows 10 (although it was upgraded from Windows 7).  The HP Laserjet 3600n works great on that computer.

HP Recommended

I can't offer any more advice regarding USB ports (not really my area of exrterise).

As regards drivers for LaserJet 3600 printers on Windows 10 , it appears that the workaround (for 64-bit systems only) is to use Windows Vista drivers - see https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c03515691

HP Recommended

If you have a network switch or router suggest you connect the printer using the ethernet connection and then use the ip address of the printer to connect.

HP Recommended

same issues with a color laserjet 3500. you can download the Vista drivers and all seems to be ok but when i tried to use it there's a message from the HP to tell me that the 3500 cannot be accessed via a USB3.0 port

HP Recommended

I was able to get my HP Color Laserjet working by using the Network Connection instead of USB.  But, the instructions that I was using indicate that you can't use this procedure on a 3500 or 3550.  If your printer has a network connection, I would try it just in case.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.