Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My last HP printer was a LasetJet 1000, and it offered minimal headaches, provided you remembered to install the drivers before connecting it.

The M604 is unboxed and ready for setup.

I do not have the software disc, but I have downloaded the following driver sets:

HP_LaserJet_Enterprise_M604-full-solution-18141

HP_LaserJet_Enterprise_M604-basic-solution-18141

HP_LaserJet_M604_PCL6_Print_Driver_no_Installer_18141

I do not know which application to use. I cannot find proper setup procedures. I looked for setup instructions in the user guide and at the support page for this model printer, but to no avail. I have only encountered limited instructions for Ethernet setups, which is not what I needed. 

I would be much obliged if someone would help me get this printer going.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The 604 is not natively wireless so please state how you are going to hook up the printer, USB or wired network? If wired network the most reliable method for installing is to manually configure a TCP/IP port and install the current Universal Print driver 6.9

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Wow. I just assumed all modern printers had wireless capability by default. Guess I was wrong.

I wanted to access the printer via wi-fi from any computer in the house. I can connect it to my router via Ethernet. I can connect it directly to my primary rig via USB.

It would be best if other computers in the house could access it.

HP Recommended

If the same router handles wired and wireless the likely  all devices are on the same network and you can access the printer from wireless devices through that network. It is a common misconception that you need a wireless printer. To verify, compare the IP address for one of your wireless devices to the IP address of the printer when it is connected to the network. If the first 3 sets of numbers are the same, for instance:

Printer IP. 192.168.1.20

Computer IP 192.168.1.50

Then you should have problem printing, just make sure that you turn on Bonjour services on the printer. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Next question: At what point do I install drivers on my primary machine? Which one of the three should I use?

HP Recommended

Personally I would download the HP Universal Print Driver V6.9 and use that. You can install the printer anytime. Just make sure you have bonjour active so that Apple devices can find it. For Android download the HP Smartprint app from Googleplay.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.