Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1005
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a new Dell computer and my printer won't install. (My printer still works with my laptop.) I have tried to let Windows detect it, I have tried to install in manually, I have downloaded the most recent drivers from HP's website, I have run the Scan Doctor, I have run 123.hp.com, and I have run HP Smart - none of which have been successful. 

When running HP Smart, it can't even detect the printer. When I run Scan Doctor, it lists my printer, but says I need to download the installer. I have done this, but I just keep running around in circles.

I have tried to uninstall my printer. It does not show up in my "uninstall programs" from the control panel. It also is not currently showing up in my settings, devices, printers (because I tried to uninstall and re-install using the various methods already listed above.)

I'm pretty much out of ideas. 

By the way, my son's new laptop won't install the printer either. I haven't done all the troubleshooting. It just makes me think there is a communication problem between new computers and this old printer.

BTW, I connect the printer using USB.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

1. Please unplug the printer and open the Control Panel, then select Devices and Printers.

Be sure to remove any existing instance of the printer under Devices and Printers.

2. Next. right click the Start Menu and select Run, then paste the following and press OK:

printui /s /t2

3. Remove any listed HP printer from that dialog by selecting the 2nd option to remove the driver and driver package

Note: if any item fails to remove, restart your PC and repeat from step 2

4. Download and install below drivers, only plug the USB once the installation guide to do so:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL21058/bi-55362-7/ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi,

What language your operating system is? is it Windows 10 64-bit in English or in any other language?

HP Recommended

English

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying.

1. Please unplug the printer and open the Control Panel, then select Devices and Printers.

Be sure to remove any existing instance of the printer under Devices and Printers.

2. Next. right click the Start Menu and select Run, then paste the following and press OK:

printui /s /t2

3. Remove any listed HP printer from that dialog by selecting the 2nd option to remove the driver and driver package

Note: if any item fails to remove, restart your PC and repeat from step 2

4. Download and install below drivers, only plug the USB once the installation guide to do so:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL21058/bi-55362-7/ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding to my post. I was able to remove one instance of HP LaserJet P1005, but there is actually another instance of HP LaserJet P1005_1. (I created this when I was trying to manually install the printer through the control panel.) 

When I select “remove driver and driver package”, I get the following error: “The following package(s) cannot be deleted: hpljp 1005.inf(x64)

This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use: HP LaserJet P1005; This driver is used on: HP LaserJet P1005_1

The following driver(s) cannot be deleted: Driver HP LaserJetP1005 (x64) is in use. It is used on: HP LaserJet P1005_1.”

When I select “Remove Driver only”, I get the following error: Unable to remove HP LaserJet P1005, x64, Type 3 - User Mode driver. The specified printer driver is currently in use.”

I don’t know if the next part is relevant, but I selected the tab “Ports” and see “Com2; Serial Port HP LaserJet P1005_1” I tried to delete port, but get the following error: “Selected port cannot be deleted. The request is not supported.”

BTW: I have made sure no printers are plugged into the computer. The only things plugged in are the monitor (HDMI) and keyboard (USB). I have restarted the computer three times, but getting the same errors as described above. Also, in case this makes a different, I have another HP printer Officejet Pro 8620, that connects wirelessly and is currently working. I have removed that one just to make sure that wasn’t contributing to the problem, but I still get the same errors as above. So now in the control panel, there are no printers listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed information!

Please open Notepad and click on File > Print.

May you see any instance remaining there although not shown in the control panel?

If so, right click it and select Delete from within the print dialog, restart your PC and then remove the driver and driver package.

Please let me know,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

YAY! That worked! After deleting P1005_1 in the print dialogue menu, I went through your previous instructions and the printer works. 

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Hi. I have very same issue as described above. However when  I try to run the installer it just ends after approximately 15 seconds. without any error message. It happened on 2 different notebooks. Both with WIN10 64 bit.

any advice?

when i plug in the printer it is not recognized. I have uninstalled all other HP printers and drivers, didnt help. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are your computers use English locale or maybe Slovak?

Please try below drivers and let me know if that works for you:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL21058/bi-55385-7/ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win64-sk.exe

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Shlomi,

it works

Many Thanks!

Igor

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.