Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I recently replaced an older printer in my coworker's office with a brand new HP LaserJet Pro M404n. I did the auto-install by plugging it in via USB however whenever my coworker would try to print it would take an exceptionally long time. This happened regardless of what program she was using. For instance in Word whenever she would hit print word would freeze up for a good 2-3 minutes and then she could hit print. Then it would freeze up for another 2-3 minutes before unfreezing and a minute or so later the printer would print. This was also true in Adobe. Even printing a test page would take 2-3+ minutes just to get it to print. 

I took the following steps to try and troubleshoot:

1. I updated her computer to the most current version of Windows 10.

2. I rebooted her machine.

3. I removed the printer that had been auto-installed along with every other HP printer driver that was on her computer. I did this by uninstalling all HP printers and then going into the print manager and deleting any HP drivers that were present. 

4. I then downloaded the current full version of the HP LaserJet Pro M404n from the HP site and tried installing the printer by a USB cord that way.

5. I replaced the USB cord in her office with a brand new one to rule out hardware failure. 

6. Removed the full version of the driver and tried using the basic version. That didn't work so I put the full version back.

As it stands her printer can print however it prints so slowly that she basically doesn't use it. When I've seen issues like this in the past with other printers the issue has usually been a corrupt driver but like I stated previously I have tried 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with a client's PC & M404n printer as well.  So far the only solution I have been able to do that works is to uninstall the M404n model specific driver and install the Universal PCL 6 64 bit driver.  That seems to work in most of the apps my client uses, except her stamps.com app.  But I agree, the delay that it takes to print makes the printer useless.  I would unplug the printer USB cable from the printer, delete the printer from the Devices and Printers.  Then select another printer listed in devices and printers and then go to the print manager and delete the HP M404n driver. (Reboot if needed).  Then install the universal print driver and plug the USB cable back in.  You should be able to use that driver... At least until we can figure out why the M404n driver is having these issues in Windows 10.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with a client's PC & M404n printer as well.  So far the only solution I have been able to do that works is to uninstall the M404n model specific driver and install the Universal PCL 6 64 bit driver.  That seems to work in most of the apps my client uses, except her stamps.com app.  But I agree, the delay that it takes to print makes the printer useless.  I would unplug the printer USB cable from the printer, delete the printer from the Devices and Printers.  Then select another printer listed in devices and printers and then go to the print manager and delete the HP M404n driver. (Reboot if needed).  Then install the universal print driver and plug the USB cable back in.  You should be able to use that driver... At least until we can figure out why the M404n driver is having these issues in Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I just tried another option that may work better than the universal PCL 6 64 bit driver.  I downloaded the M402n PCL 6 64 bit basic driver, ran then ran it (HP_LJ_Pro_M402-M403_n-m-dn-dne_PCL6_v3_Basic_Solution_19134.exe).  It then creates a folder on your C:\ drive.   Then go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers, select the M404n printer and right click and select Printer properties.  Go to the Advanced tab and click on New Driver.  Then click on Next, Have Disk and select the folder that was created on your C:\HP_LaserJet_Pro_M402-M403_n-dne and let the M404 and install that driver.  I was able to use that driver and no longer have a delay printing,

HP Recommended

Dear Franco,

Your resolution worked perfectly for me, THANK YOU. I was disappointed how I was not able to plug in and follow the easy prompts to get my printer going. Once I used HPs directions for an easy install, the printer was freezing all of my applications and was printing so slow. I'm using Windows 10 and Adobe like many many many other people use daily. The install should have gone more smoothly. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain an easy solution and with over 1,000 views, you can see many others are having the same issues.

HP Recommended

Franco,

Perfection! Four days of fussing with this, and just over 4 minutes of fix. Thank you! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.