Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M402dne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have several printers that are connected to the network via Ethernet.  One of them has stopped responding to SNMP commands and pings.  Upon looking at the device directly, it apparently doesn't have an IP address anymore(normally set static).  The config page reads Network cable disconnected.  When I connect a laptop to the device directly via Ethernet the status changes to ready and the IP is displayed on the readout screen.

I have tested all of the cables and they work fine.  I have NVRAM rest the device to factory settings, no luck.  I have updated the firmware to the newest version, no luck.  I have tested the network devices(switches and routers) that connect it to the network and they are all fine.

I simply cant figure out why it works when direct connected but not over the network, any help would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

MY next shot would be the replacing the Formatter, it doesn't make total sense, but if the problem is in the Printer then that would be the most likely part.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

One characteristic of HP printers is that even when set to a Static IP if they do not see a network they will report their IP Address to be 0.0.0.0.

In short your printer does not see the network when connected to the drop, but it does see a network when connected to a PC.

This would usually indicate a bad drop/port.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

Yeah, that was my initial idea.  Unfortunately, I tested all of the connection mediums to and through the switch.  Id like to also note, the printer was replaced with a different HP LaserJet printer in the same spot, using the same power and LAN cable and works just fine.

HP Recommended

MY next shot would be the replacing the Formatter, it doesn't make total sense, but if the problem is in the Printer then that would be the most likely part.

HP Recommended

I figured as much.  😞  Sadly, it looks like HP doesn't sell the part and online option range from $30 to $200 and from no places I would actually buy things.  I guess its either replace or hope another one fails in a different way so i can salvage its board.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.