Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFP M426 fdn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP LaserJet MFP M426fdn that is connected to our network. We are a fairly large company, so we have it connected to a 48 port switch (one of many) with wireless disabled. The printer has an IP address obtained from a DHCP server with a reservation. We are able to ping the printer, and to browse to its web portal with no issues. Whenever we install the printer on a computer with a TCP/IP port, it immediately goes offline and you are unable to print to it. It has been tested on several different computers with the same result. We discovered if we install it with the WSD port it will stay online and print. Unfortunately the WSD port is not acceptable for the program we need to use with this printer. We have checked our firewall and it seems to be letting the printer traffic through with no issues. I also tried it with different drivers (M426 driver, universal driver, etc) and it stays offline regardless of what driver is installed. The firmware is updated to the most recent available on the website. Is it possible the network card in the printer is going bad?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Odd, usually WSD ports cause the most problems. It is possible that there might be compatibility issues between the switch and the network port on the printer, I have had that before. I suggest you try setting the network speed to a fixed speed rather than auto-negotiate as a test. Also double check for duplicate IP addresses, I say this even though I know you stated that it is set on a reservation but things happen.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.